Notices

limp mode???? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2009, 03:28 PM
l555dvy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default limp mode???? HELP

hi guys firtst post, youve all probebly been aked this loads of times but i need your help, i got my 4th impreza today and all was rosey , its a classic wrx wagon and its immaculate, however on the way home the (check engine light) came on, and wouldent rev past 4500rpm!!, i got home and as its a classic i done the fault code reader thing with the plugs under the steering wheel, i got back 4 codes of..24 32 33 and42 being idle control system malfunction, af sensor (oxy) vehicle speed sensor2 and idle switch, now i reset the ecu and played around with some sensors and im now left with codes 24 and 33, the car is idleing fine but the speedos packed in, allthough the light has went off twice since and ran mint but comes back on a short time later and wont go past 4500rpm, can some body please shine some light on this it would be grately appreciated, any tips or tricks would be great b4 ineed to go to a garage,, thanks..davy
Old 22 December 2009, 09:36 PM
danfa
Scooby Newbie

Hiya
did you manage to sort out your fault as I have a very similar fault with my car!! My speedo works tho but the needle is up and down like a yo-yo! its driving me mad
Old 23 December 2009, 07:01 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by danfa
Hiya
did you manage to sort out your fault as I have a very similar fault with my car!! My speedo works tho but the needle is up and down like a yo-yo! its driving me mad
If its not a UK car then look at the KPH to MPH converter, its on the top of the gearbox or on the back of your speedo dials
Old 23 December 2009, 08:37 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the speedo isnt working then it willput the car into limp mode and not allow it to rev beyond 4300 ish.

KMH to MPH convertor would seem the obvious culprit.
Old 30 December 2009, 11:13 PM
danfa
Scooby Newbie

thanks for that, last night I removed the kmh-mph convertor and connected the wires back to standard kmh, reset the light (connected the two green blocks together and then disconnected them) and then the light went out for a short while but came back on again!!!! AHHHHH!! I flashed the codes again and yet again 24 & 33 came up. I have ordered a convertor off ebay and am awaiting that anyway but if that doesnt work do you think it will be the speed sensor?? strange thing is the speedo didnt seem to fluctuate when I drove it after disconnecting the convertor. Do you know if code 24 idle control valve usually puts the car into limp home mode as I am not having any idling issues.
Old 31 December 2009, 12:13 AM
FB Tuning
Former Sponsor

Faulty Speed Sensor or snapped cable (depending on the year of the car), faulty clocks or no speed signal to the ecu

The Idle Control Valve fault code won't impose a limp home rev limit - It's the Speed sensor fault.