Notices

Neutral position switch

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2009, 08:09 PM
Markybrisca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral position switch

Hi, my new bugeye `52 plate has a random P0340 error code when driven quickly from time to time.(Camshaft position sensor) Having read various posts about Camshaft sensor/random Check engine lights I wondered if the neutral position sensor could be at fault for a fake error code. Has anyone got a diagram showing where this is located as I dont mind spending £35 or so quid to try and fix this. My last bugeye did the same and I replaced the Camshaft sensor at a whopping £140 but sold it just after so I dont know if the problem was fixed or not. Help/Comments appreciated, thanks Mark.
Old 15 June 2009, 08:20 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Failure of the NPS will cause cam issues.... i.e. no AVCS at all.

It is located on the top of the box IIRC, and can be taken out with the box in situ. You need to get at it from underneath.

I wouldn't of thought the NPS would give the same error as a mullered cam sensor though.
Old 15 June 2009, 08:33 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The NPS does give cam sensor error along with a few of the misfire codes from time to time depending on the car.

The ecu contains an ignition map for in gear and an ignition map for out of gear and it throws errors when driven in gear on the out of gear map.. it is a bit difficult for the ecu to know whether the nps signal is valid or not hence it doesan't throw NPS code..

Depending on the rom file in the ecu it is possible to map it out also.. but most likely be the NPS switch.. box needs dropping a little to access it so not a mega quick job but not too difficult either

Simon