subaru cambelt

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2009, 04:17 PM
stu76
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink subaru cambelt

hi all.

can anyone advise on how involved it is to change the cambelt inc tentioner and rollers, the whole kit basically on a subaru impreza non turbo t plate year 1999?
i have not done a cambelt before but am good mechanically, do most other things on the car apart from this, just wanted an opinion before going ahead as once started thats it!

also engine oil, i suggested putting castrol magnatec 10w 40 semi synthetic in, but just seen mobile super s engine oil too, semi syn 10w 40.

any help appreciated.
thankyou.
Old 15 June 2009, 04:39 PM
Scoobyn
Scooby Regular

I had mine done 2 weeks ago, my local garage wouldnt touch it as it was summat he couldnt guarantee he could get right, he pointed me in the direction of a garage who had the right tools and knowledge etc. Inc fitting a new radiator it cost me £350. The actual belt had done over 100000 miles on it and it was fine. The bloke said he'd never seen a bad subaru belt, however same couldnt be said about the rollers/tensioners, they were goosed!!!
Old 15 June 2009, 04:50 PM
stu76
Scooby Regular

Cool

hi.
thanks for your reply.

i know its about a 2hour job to do whole job inc cambelt/tensioner/rollers etc. you need the right tools which is understandable, but wanted to know how hard it is to get timing marks correct and what sequence to start the job in removing the cambelt?
thankyou.
stuart
Old 15 June 2009, 05:44 PM
Hobstar82
Scooby Regular

Its easy to do. Cam gears gears all have timing marks that point together and belt has lines to line up with the marks pointing outward of the engine on gears. Just line up crank mark and all falls in place. U need a small pin or drill bit to hold tensioner back. Sometimes outter crank pulley can be seized on but thats about it! Dont bother taking rad out, just dont punch a hole thru it!! Oh and the cams tend to spin (usually the right side cams as your looking at the engine) when you take belt off so make sure you take note of which way they spun! When you got it all back together turn the engine over by hand and check all marks re-aline.

Sorry about pic size, aint found a resizer program yet but you'll get the cruks of it
Old 15 June 2009, 08:30 PM
stu76
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

hi.

thanks for the info regarding doing the cambelt. hopefully i will build up the courage and do this job myself this weekend all going well.

has anyone or can anyone email me any close up photos of the cambelt diagram similar to this one who replied but bigger scale please.
thankyou.
Old 16 June 2009, 05:15 PM
sc00by_d00
Scooby Regular

id be interested in a pic of the above aswell..... :-) my cam belt is due for renewal and was debating on doing it myself...lol

Would it be worth changing all of the other belts at the same time? Power steering, air con, alternator etc