Fitting lower balljoints

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2009, 05:14 PM
PeterStone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fitting lower balljoints

Hi

As above. My steering has been feeling slightly vague at times and garage couldn't find any play in any of the bushes so i decided to replace the lower balljoints. Car is a uk my99 classic with over 100k on the clock so thought they're probably pretty worn anyway.
Got the split pin out and the castle-nut loosened and the bolt through the lower hub removed. However despite drenching everything in wd40 i can only get the balljoint to move 1-2mm by using a prybar between wishbone and lower hub.It moves that far and the stops as though caught on something but i can't see anything.
Any ideas?

PeteS
Old 03 June 2009, 07:00 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you remove the little link connecting the anti roll bar to the lower wishbone? As if this is not removed you will struggle to get the balljoint to move.

Basically once this is removed there is nothing else holding it in place i.e. stopping the wishbone swinging down.

If worse comes to worse i always end up inserting a scaffold tube over the wishbone to the undernath body of the car and standing or jumping on the thing and it always goes LOL i have injured myself twice doing this not reccommended but sometimes it's the only way for me.