Notices

dribble??? myoo uk

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2009, 10:44 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dribble??? myoo uk

hi, ive noticed water dribbling a bit out of the non pressurized header tank at the passenger side behind the light...after a run it dribbles from black pipe and from yellow cap staining it blue....all water levels are correct etc just wondering why this has started car is modified and boost presure seams to be going up to say its warmer waether 5th is now 19psi from usual 16
Old 28 May 2009, 10:47 PM
t7srt
Scooby Regular

That bottle is an overflow bottle, Which one do you top up? As some people top that bottle up when they should be checking the main metal one when cold,

It could just be over filled and overflowing
Old 28 May 2009, 11:05 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

yes i drained the system a few weeks back wen i took turbo off and topped the main one up and just put a bit in the other one may of been a kittle too much but flipped the lid off and thats the right level still...il see how it gose i dont think head gasket would pump it out of the tank prob more the main one maybe...

i find it wierd how the two tanks work i cant ge my head round the system??

Last edited by andyxros; 28 May 2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 29 May 2009, 12:10 AM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the system works like this:
the tank on the left holds the pressure (normally 0.9 or 1.1 bar) in the system (the system needs to be pressurized to stop the coolant boiling)
if/when the pressure in the system gets to high (above 0.9 or 1.1bar) the rad cap opens and the pressure/coolant is released into the tank by the battery which is open to atmosphre. when the engine cools the water in the left tank and the system contracts and the rad cap opens the other way to suck the coolant back into the left tank (otherwise a vacumm would be created)

sometimes the cap can fail and it doesnt suck the water back. hence you end up with a bit too much in the right tank.
Its also possible for the water that comes out of the left tank to boil. this is becuase when it leaves the left tank it is no longer under pressure and it cant hold the heat anymore. hence why you sometimes see bubbles in the tank by the battery.
Old 29 May 2009, 12:12 AM
t7srt
Scooby Regular

He said it better than me,
Old 29 May 2009, 12:50 AM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

o right nice one....just found these two tanks strange as long as id had the car, but anyway ill keep my eye on it see if it stops now its all settled etc and have a clean up of the area cheers guys........

Last edited by andyxros; 29 May 2009 at 12:52 AM.