Notices

Mapping question.

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2009, 01:28 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mapping question.

can someone give me some advice, i have a 99 plate turbo 2000 which ive owned for about 5 years now. Only just getting round to tuning it as family commitments had to come first, i have a open mouth front de cat fitted, about to buy a panel filter for it im just wondering due to the age is it a good idea to have it mapped of course if i decide to ill fit an uprated fuel pump too, i am a little concerned that the milage is getting on abit now has approx 110k, its always been very reliable! i mean aside of the normal costings ie service items, brakes, tyres and such its only cost me about 200 pound since i bought it, i dont want to cause myself any future problems, or damage the car in any way. is this a good idea?
thanks
Richard
Old 22 May 2009, 02:28 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Welcome. No way to answer this other than to suck it and see. There are so many variables that can affect engine health and longevity that a perfectly serviced and cared for 110kmile unit could be in better nick than another with half the use. If you wanted to actually answer this question, the only way to do so is to strip down, examine and rebuild the engine - which is obviously impractical in a context where it's running fine and you just want to tweak it a bit.

If you look around the forum a bit you'll see that there are a couple of common issues with the 99-00 specification engine that you could attend to prior to getting it remapped. The fuel pump you already know about, the other big one would be making sure you have a good mass airflow sensor and replacing it if in any doubt. This is especially so in a context where it sounds like you've had one in for some time. And, on this note, you probably already know this, but just in case; make sure that whatever aftermarket air filter you choose is MAF-friendly. Beyond that, the ability to monitor knock, boost and AFR will give you the confidence that nothing potentially lethal is happening to the engine, either now or at some point in the future.

A good mapper will probably be able to tell you more about the general health of your engine than anyone bar a technician stripping the thing down. If the plan is to stick with the standard turbo, then there's no reason, from what you've said, you should be able to get a nice power and drivability improvement without stressing it unduly.
Old 22 May 2009, 02:51 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

When I bought my MY00 Uk Turbo 3 years ago it had 96k.

I changed the MAF, clutch, downpipe (Ninja Sports Cat), serviced it and had it remapped.

Faultess since then @ 273bhp/273lbft.

Last Sunday I had it remapped again after changing fuel pump, turbo (VF35) and intercooler pipng.

Feels fantastic running 325bhp/320lbft.

Currently on 108k

So pretty good figures (both times) on an engine with highish miles. My car however had an easy life for the first 3 years, racking up 70k of motorway miles.

So any further Qs fire away!
Old 22 May 2009, 03:04 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

thanks guys for your input, i have previously fitted a MAF as it was a problem, i was looking at a 'green' filter is this recommended i see some people here recommend them but seems to be personnel preference. how is this likely to affect fuel consumption as i currently get about 300 miles to a tank is it likely to drop massively is there any other mods that need to be addressed at the same time?
Old 22 May 2009, 03:56 PM
StiX
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Green are fine.

Your fuel consumption may well get better after mapping, or stay roughly the same.

If you are staying with the standard turbo you don't even need a fuel pump swap.

So Stage 1 is:

downpipe
centre section
backbox
panel filter
remap.

Should see you around 270-280. Won't get much more unless you swap the turbo.

If you swap turbo you need above plus:

turbo - VF28/35 TD0516G etc.
uprated fuel pump