Notices

A few technical questions

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2009, 07:07 PM
stingr4y
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few technical questions

Hi, I'm relatively new to all this so I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere or whatever.. I have an MY95 WRX EJ20

I want to upgrade my ECU, Apexi with commander or Simtek ECU? I'm thinking Simtek as I have a feeling this eliminates the MAF which is limted to 350 wild horses.... is this just bull****??

Also, I've just fitted a carbon fibre bonnet but it has given me problems with the air flow on the top mount. I plan to upgrade to an FMIC but.... HKS is way more expensive than the AB88, is it worth the extra money? I'm thinking you get what you pay for but does anyone have any experiences... I have transmission questions as well but don't want to push my luck

I'm having trouble finding definitive guides to aftermarket parts specs/ fitting instructions, does anyone have any advice for a newbie

cheers. Raymond.
Old 07 May 2009, 08:00 PM
docdave5902
Scooby Regular

in my opinion simtek and bin the maf every day of the week,simteks are great,2 maps on a switch or linked via the throttle pedal,launch control which can be set at what ever rpm you want and boost too,als,shift light via the check engine lamp,really great bit of kit for the money if you ask me.
fmic i suppose you do get what you pay for like anything else in life,to be honest here i have a fmic and i bought one of the £200 kits of fleabay,my car is running 340 hp on a simtek with it ,and doesnt have a problem with intake temps at all,the only bad thing i would say is the hose clamps were garbage and had to be replaced with quality items,i think on a road car that gets a bit of straight line stick here and there and not on a track getting constant hammer you can spend too much money on mega quality items sometimes,but hey each to their own.it depends on your finances really as to what you buy.
gearbox,newage 6 speed box,prop linkage and rear diff. been on my wish list for a while now.there are the ppg conversions etc but personally i think the six speed is best.
Old 07 May 2009, 08:20 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Simtec is awesome, running MAFless is great.... until you have to travel up to the mountains to go snowboarding and your motor cant work correctly in high altitude.
Old 07 May 2009, 09:40 PM
Fat Boi Mike
Scooby Regular

Ah damn, thats my trip of everest and the phillipines cancelled..
Old 07 May 2009, 09:46 PM
fastboyslim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fat Boi Mike
Ah damn, thats my trip of everest and the phillipines cancelled..