Potential dodgy garage - Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2009, 09:58 PM
Big Lad On Tour
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential dodgy garage - Help needed

Hi,

I'm looking for help because this situation is really stressing me out and need some advice (UK Turbo 2000):-

December 08 my gearbox went and wouldn't engage 1st or 2nd gears, as a result of driving for a brief period to the garage the clutch went aswell. This wasn't a garage I'd been to before but I rang around to find the best quote to fix the work. Once I'd taken my car to the garage they did take forever to fix it, phoning me once a week saying that more work needed doing and the bill kept racking up higher and higher in total it took about 6 - 7 weeks and cost £2125. I had the car back and didn't drive it for 6 weeks due to having a knee operation then after driving it for 5 or 6 days the box went again and wouldn't engage 1st gear.

I took the car back to the garage and the guy who'd fixed it rang me about 5 days later saying he was going on holiday for 2 weeks so I'd have to come back and collect it and bring it back when he got back. I was livid but had to take it on the chin because I wanted them to fix it.

14th April took the car back, and today they have called me to say that they have dropped the box and looked inside and saying it's the same problem as before 1st gear is chewed up. He's said to me this is through my driving not disengaging the clutch. This wasn't the case at all, I'd been driving it very carefully as I was nervous about all the exspense etc that driving it hard again could cause.

He has said to me that I need to get an independent engineers report, I've looked around and seen that these cost about £150 - £200 which is more exspense again.

Can anyone tell me what is the best thing to do, because the cost and stress this has caused me is loads.

Many thanks
Old 16 April 2009, 10:26 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fella sorry to hear this. Surely if he wants your repeat business he will get the report done himself, or at least contribute.

I personally think the gearbox he probably replaced it with was either dodgy or the gears he rebuilt it with were dodgy.

You might just have to take a chance with the report mate, as its cheaper than having the box done although tbh with you what he charged you is outrageous.

Sorry i couldn't be of much help.

Good Luck
Old 16 April 2009, 10:39 PM
Big Lad On Tour
Scooby Regular

Ok mate, I'll speak to him about it tomorrow and see what he says. I don't think this guy cares if I go back or not. I just want my car fixed. I had to buy a cheap runaround due to the amount of time he has taken.
Old 16 April 2009, 10:42 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jesus! £2125! what exsactly did you get for that? a rebuild or 2nd hand box? either way thats very expensive. i would be demanding it be fixed FOC if i had paid that.
Old 16 April 2009, 10:53 PM
Big Lad On Tour
Scooby Regular

I had the gearbox rebuilt, new front diff, new clutch and a service. The mechanic has been a proper ar**hole. I said to him initially when it broke the second time that I was unsatisfied with how long it would take to fix and asked for a courtesy car or for someone else to do the job. He proper lost his temper saying the work had been carried out properly and if I'd had a ford focus none of this would have ever happened?? Now he's saying i've got to get an engineers report. It makes me so wound up because I'm backed into a corner. I'm really unsure what todo.
Old 16 April 2009, 11:02 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

what garage did the work??
Old 17 April 2009, 01:08 AM
chrisUK300
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a typical dodgy back street garage?

A friend of mine had a similar problem which ended in him taking the garage to court, finally got his money back 14 months later
Old 17 April 2009, 09:58 AM
Big Lad On Tour
Scooby Regular

Autobox / Archway Garage Longton Stoke on Trent Staffs. I've contacted Trading Standards and they advised me to send a letter of complaint. I spoke to my Uncle (Ex Lawyer) he advised me to get the independent Engineers report.
Old 17 April 2009, 10:21 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks like ur stuck with paying for the report, you could ask him for copies of the invoices for the parts fitted to your car for the records too.
Old 17 April 2009, 10:40 AM
sanf
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest, did you pay using a credit card? If so contact them and look to raise a dispute if your unhappy. If you did then you are protected by laws under the CCA, if you paid cash or debit card then your not covered in the same way. Just a thought. Best of luck.
Old 17 April 2009, 06:53 PM
Big Lad On Tour
Scooby Regular

I paid cash Sanf, it was without the VAT aswell so I didn't get receipt. Don't know if I could try and nail him for VAT fraud or if that would get me into trouble aswell. There really is nothing worse than taking your car to the garage is there, your pretty much at the mercy of them lol?

Old 17 April 2009, 08:20 PM
Combat
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear of your woes (from a fellow Stokie!).

Autobox, is that the one near the 'Ferodo' bridge, or the one nearer to St James' Church on Uttoxeter road? if the latter, I remember my bro was looking at a few cars there, he promptly decided not to buy! there are so many dodgy little garages in SOT it's unreal!

I don't think you could get into any trouble on the VAT side of things, is it not the garage's responsibility and not the customer's to do things by the book?

I'd have a word with the Citizen's advice bureau in Hanley for starters, and maybe also have a word with trading standards. It's amazing how quickly things can be resolved when someone presents communication from the TS! I'd want my money back and I'd not let them touch the car again personally.

Last edited by Combat; 17 April 2009 at 08:21 PM.