front mounted intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2009, 09:38 PM
STI Jose
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front mounted intercooler

Hi Every1

this is my first post and im really happy to be part of your forum.

I have recently bought my first Impreza a 1993 sti import with really low miles. The car came with a turbo back straight through exhaust, hks mushroom filter and a hks blow off valve. Im unsure what my next step should be for the engine. Im only running 0.7 bar of boost do you think a front mounted intercooler and screw up the boost would be a good next step or can anybody suggest a better idea. I only have around £500 to spend so if anybody has any ideas i would love to hear them

cheers Joseph
Old 06 April 2009, 09:45 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

wouldn't bother with a front mount yet mate,not at your current state of tune
Old 06 April 2009, 09:59 PM
ktm525racing
Scooby Regular

ecu and fuel would be your next steps change it for a apexi power fc & welbro 255lt u may need a few hundred quid more but you will get the most outta the engine with them
Old 06 April 2009, 10:07 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the early ecu BUT more than £500 is Enduring Solutions Limited daughterboard 9it retains the OEM diagnostic system and knock control whilst being completely remappable.

Decat would be a good first step (plus no mot worries if you take it to a garage that knows the rules) this will allow the turbo to spool up earlier.
Old 06 April 2009, 10:15 PM
STI Jose
Scooby Newbie

ecu might be a bit out of price range for a few months but i think i will go with the welbro fuel pump i have a pretty good knowelge of engines but have never done work on the flat four do you think i would struggle with fitting the new fuel pump on my own
Old 06 April 2009, 10:20 PM
ktm525racing
Scooby Regular

easy job take back seat out there a inspection panel held with 4 screws then theres 6 or 8 8mm nuts holding the pump in when u get the pump out there a jubbles clip holding the fuel line to the pump will take you about 20 mins at most to change just make sure u have all the windows down or you may get a bit high lol and dont smoke lol
Old 06 April 2009, 10:24 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

quite a useful help page
Old 06 April 2009, 10:33 PM
STI Jose
Scooby Newbie

found a apexi power fc commander for £247.50 from flat four online is this good price and this may sound stupid but how does it work and what will i do with it does it just allow you to change your air/fuel so it runs at optium performance i.e not to rice/lean
Old 06 April 2009, 10:37 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

flat four online unfortunately have a terrible record of delivery on here (use the search for unhappy customers).
It is basically a new brain for the car with which you can adjust (map) for any modifications you do or making the original parts work a little harder safely.
Old 06 April 2009, 10:43 PM
STI Jose
Scooby Newbie

so does this mean you can remap it yourself really or is remapping diffrent. Oh and i meant rich in my last comment not rice lol think i might need some food
Old 06 April 2009, 10:48 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

I would leave it to the professionals (such as the guy in the link i've posted) i'm sure you can do it yourself but if you have no experience in such matters then a new is a hefty price ot pay for learning imo BUT if you're confident enough then you could give it a go then there are a few people who do remap their own cars (maybe not running the Power FC though) i think a guy called 'dynamix' on here does it.
Old 06 April 2009, 10:53 PM
STI Jose
Scooby Newbie

cool so if i bought the power fc i would then take it to my local tuner to use it then is that what u mean sorry to be askin so many questions
Old 06 April 2009, 11:05 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Yes the tuner would charge a fee for his time though and then additional fee for everytime the map is altered.
The Power FC although a good bit of kit is outdated now my main criticism is no active knock control i.e. it will detect detonation (BAD) but do **** all about it.

your best be really is give Jollygreenmonster (Simon) an email to get a more accurate explanation of what he would do for you,he isn't the only mapper around but possibly the one with the best reputation (no disrespect to any other mappers though)
Old 06 April 2009, 11:15 PM
STI Jose
Scooby Newbie

iv been on your link to enduring solutions and it was very helpful thanks alot. it tells me to pretty much upgrade fuel pump, injectors fit a map sensor and the front mount intercooler should i spend my cash i have now on that and then go see them would that be my best idea
Old 06 April 2009, 11:57 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

fit a fuel pump first definatley
Old 07 April 2009, 07:13 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by STI Jose
iv been on your link to enduring solutions and it was very helpful thanks alot. it tells me to pretty much upgrade fuel pump, injectors fit a map sensor and the front mount intercooler should i spend my cash i have now on that and then go see them would that be my best idea
The early MAP sensor will only allow 1.2bar which i think is more than enough.
380cc injectors (standard on your car will easily see you to 280bhp)
tbh i would do the brakes first, unless they've been already uprated, as on the early cars they can be quite poor.