Notices

Engine Wobble ? Engine Mounts ? Suspension ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2009, 04:14 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Wobble ? Engine Mounts ? Suspension ?

Hey guys and gals,

Something I've noticed on my 05MY Blobeye WRX Scooby is when driving along a flat road, eg the motorway, the ride seems really bumpy or wobbling sometimes. I seem to go over a minor bump or dip and it feels 'exagerated' ?!? Sometimes its seems to wobble without going over a bump at all. For example, when stop / starting in traffic on a flat road I get wobble then aswell, like Im sat on a plate of jelly?!?

Its hard to explain. Before I had my Scooby, I had a Mk5 2004 Golf that seemed to glide along the flat roads but I have no other car to compare the ride to at the moment.

Now I know that a Scooby is a performance vehicle and the ride is going to be a little more 'rigid' but Im starting to think something needs repair, ive come up with these possible causes, if anyone can shed any info on these and their symptoms it would be much appreciated...(my Scooby has standard WRX Suspension)

Engine Mounts?
Engine / Clutch / Driveshaft Alignment?
Suspension Bushes?
Shock Absorbers?

Cheers, M.
Old 19 March 2009, 04:00 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Bump.

Anyone?
Old 19 March 2009, 04:15 PM
MrLouKnee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

standard suspension is very soft and the momentum made mine rock back and forth like i was on a seesaw when driving on motorways and the road became bumpy
Old 19 March 2009, 05:10 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

my05 should have no probs with all the above, but if you not happy just take to M.O.T just to check the probs if any. Mine feels the same but on my00 it's expected, fitting all new uprated brakes, shocks and springs in the next 2 weeks, so mine will be
Old 21 March 2009, 07:25 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Is there a common fault with Blobeyes on the suspension system? Eg, parts that wear quickly and have obvious symptoms. Alot of people have mentioned the 'knocking noise' syndrome.

I dont have the knocking noise but what would cause a car to feel like jelly when driving along?

Ive heard about the knackered engine mounts problem too but what are the symptoms?

Anybody?
Old 21 March 2009, 07:34 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

is your air con on at the time as when the fans kick up it puts a load on the engine so the revs will drop slightly,also you do get a slight wobble at times cos of the flat four lay out
Old 21 March 2009, 07:41 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

I hardly ever use the Air Con to save on fuel, and it just seems too 'out of the ordinary' to be the flat four design causing it. It can at times be really annoying and uncomfortable, its really bugging me what is causing it.
Old 21 March 2009, 07:44 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

how many miles are on the car
Old 21 March 2009, 07:46 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maydew
how many miles are on the car
Old 31 March 2009, 05:34 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Well just got the car back from Sparshatts and I'm told they didnt find anything wrong!

The cynic in me says the lack of any 'out of warranty' payment going their way meant the short road test and quick poke around under the car was enough for them to say "cant see anything wrong guv!"

Oh well, I'll just have to live with it for now and if it ends up developing into something worse, I guess until the day I hear a horrid noise or fluid starts pissing out somewhere maybe the garage will do whats needed.

And why do I get this funny feeling that will happen the day after my warranty runs out!

On a side note, the only diagnosis they could conjure up was it may have something to do with the Tracking, I cant help but feel this is completly wrong but incase this thread isnt completely dead, anyone want to express an opinion?
Old 31 March 2009, 06:06 PM
Sudden Stop
Scooby Newbie

Having read your first post, I would have thought the shocks would be a prime culprit but they are easily checked and if it's been to a garage they would've (or is that should've) caught that.

I don't have the same problem with my 03 blobeye WRX but do have general vagueness which I can't put my finger on. I wouldn't even be able to describe the problem if I took it to a dealership - just a sense of impending doom really!

I hope you get to the bottom of your problem, good luck.
Old 31 March 2009, 06:11 PM
2pac
Scooby Regular

Not wanting to sound oatranising but you sure you dont have front wheel out of shape or allignment?
Old 31 March 2009, 06:16 PM
scoober101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2pac
Not wanting to sound oatranising but you sure you dont have front wheel out of shape or allignment?
Possible I suppose, Im yet to get the alignment / tracking checked. As for an 'oval' wheel, I really dont know, the wheels were balanced when installed and all the counter weights are still on the alloys.