Notices

Overboosting? Quickest way to solve ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2009, 12:34 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overboosting? Quickest way to solve ?

ok my friend has decided to keep his car and wants to fix the overboosting problem he is having.

we think its overboosting.

it basically in 3rd 4th and 5th gear while flooring it , it lets off as if youve let go of the accelerator and then comes back ona few secs later.

would a hks fuel cut defender sort this out?

its got a 3 inch turbo back exhaust.. thats it, still jap mapped but my mate isnt going to remap, he isnt a guy that sort of listens , ive tried explaining but hey, he swears when the car came with standard exhaust the overboosting was a lot worse, the decatted exhaust has lessened it by far!

should he swap the boost solinoid over? he's given it a clean and when it did come from japan it had double the amount of oil it should, if that helps anyones diagnosis..

opinions?
Old 16 March 2009, 12:42 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

A boost controller, dawes type.

Don't be put off by the people saying that they'd never have once it my kill there engine etc.
Just put it on and set it below the well fuel cut.
Old 16 March 2009, 01:35 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

the ONLY safe way is to get it mapped, yes you can put a boost restrictor on there, but it wont sort out an afr problems and if setup wrong can kill yourengine by allowing too much boost.

there's nothing wrong with the item, it just needs setting up properly or whats described above not happening can happen.

Last edited by Tidgy; 16 March 2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 16 March 2009, 01:40 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

are you sure there isnt an air leak somewhere? might be worth checking all boost pipes and intercooler pipework before spending out on something you dont need
Old 16 March 2009, 01:49 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

^^ regarding above , i do rememebr when we first got it off the truck when it came from japan, we took it for a blast and after 25 mins up a hill all lights came on and it cut out.. 3 mins before this.. it started making a pshhh noise as if it had a dump valve..

so intercooler pipe blew off.. and oil was way too much,, sorted that out and fixed pipe back on and he's driven it like that for a year..

could it really still be an air leak?
Old 16 March 2009, 01:51 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by joey_turbo
A boost controller, dawes type.

Don't be put off by the people saying that they'd never have once it my kill there engine etc.
Just put it on and set it below the well fuel cut.
he wont get one of those, he's a dick, he likes cars but just never spends on them once he gets them, he drives them to the ground

done this with his evo 7 and version 3 sti..

just wont change, only does what is necessary and thats it
Old 16 March 2009, 01:59 PM
scooby-tc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eggy790
^^ regarding above , i do rememebr when we first got it off the truck when it came from japan, we took it for a blast and after 25 mins up a hill all lights came on and it cut out.. 3 mins before this.. it started making a pshhh noise as if it had a dump valve..

so intercooler pipe blew off.. and oil was way too much,, sorted that out and fixed pipe back on and he's driven it like that for a year..

could it really still be an air leak?
Sounds very much like an air leak to me,i had the same on my Type R yesterday and it was caused by the intercooler to throttle body hose being loose and leaking air.The car would boost up until it hit fuel cut but was ok again when you lifted off.I secured the hose and checked all other related hoses before taking it out again and giving it a blast and everything was perfect again.I'm not saying that is what you mates problem is but it certainly wouldnt hurt to double check everything
Old 04 June 2009, 06:47 PM
blacrat00
Scooby Regular

Ahh
my sti today driving fine, 16psi 1 2nd 3rd, was in 5th 70mph put foot down to avoid hitting broken down lorry car stalled, went to 20 psi, safely moved back in lane, car seemed ok tried again 25.5 psi bang,, pulled onto hard shoulder narrowly avoiding staionary police car, the IC pipe connector came of just in front of the rad fan, got frnt mounted ic, had no tools pushed just to make a seal drove home , slowly got stopped by cops, why i driving so slow, blah blah, now car on me drive. do you think there was a problem making it overboost or could it be the jubilee clip was loose, would that make it overboost, i cant be asked to lift bonnet.
Old 04 June 2009, 06:59 PM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

for you mate it would have stalled because intercooler hose blew off

thats happened to me both in a scooby and a golf gti

what we need is one of those proper clamps prodrives scooby has, god knows where u can get them from thoough

p.s. the above car (my mates) was sold with the problem
Old 04 June 2009, 07:13 PM
blacrat00
Scooby Regular

hi mate, nightmare, im in drive now trying to get ic pipes back on, lol
what one was your mates ,, sorry#