URGENT HELP - 98 V4 STI

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2009, 10:00 PM
jwan_147
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT HELP - 98 V4 STI

Hi,

Not a frequent user of this site but any help will be appreciated. Picked up a couple of problems with a new purchase, the following are as follows

There is a squealing noise when turning the wheel and sometimes when turning the wheel power assistance looses its power. But after a while its fine, its only starting from cold. Possible belt problem or power assistance pump, not sure.

I'm pretty sure imported STI have Vf turbo's not sure which number but mine has the TD04 due to the old one gave in as noted by previous owner. The car drives OK does not seem as powerful pass when turbo kicks in. Will this turbo give problems in future or would you advise changing this turbo for VF28 or others you recommend.

The clutch is a bit judderry and perhaps need replacement but still some life, any particular clutch is suitable for this car. Also would it be best to change the flywheel at the same time.

Great advice would be fully appreciated

Thx/ JW
Old 22 February 2009, 10:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm your car needs some serious money spending on it yesterday by the sounds
Its not a good idea to run the TD04 turbo on a car mapped for a VF turbo without a remap, and as you cannot remap and i doubt the previous owner did, get any form of replacement ecu, it can cause serious running issues and damage....

The PAS could be the belt, they are suppose to be changed, i would get the cambelt changed at the same time also.

Juddery clutches are common, though you dont want to do the cure for it, not with the wrong turbo on but you should be able to tell if its worn by the distance you have to lift your foot up with the handbrake on and the car in gear, higher your foot before the bite, the more wear on the clutch (not 100% accurate but it gives you a pretty good idea).

Tony