Notices

classic not holding water.

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2009, 02:55 PM
lalemmakate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default classic not holding water.

getting a bit worried now my baby jus doesnt seem to be holding any water im having to fill the resevoir up every other day.the rad fans jus kick in right away.ive taken her of the road while i diagnose the prob.anyone give me any pointers. cheers.
Old 22 February 2009, 03:05 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cracks in the plastic sides of the rad perhaps.
Any signs of leaks under the car?
Old 22 February 2009, 03:09 PM
p1prodrive
Scooby Regular

pressurise the water system and check out where its leaking or 'if' its leaking ?
Old 22 February 2009, 03:32 PM
dawleyboy
Scooby Regular

could be down to a number of things headgasket being 1 of them check for any signs of water in your oil,small split in top or bottom hoses,radiator just thought i would give you some areas to look hope it helps
Old 22 February 2009, 07:41 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Common split is bottom Rad hose, but as said by all the guys above you need to diagnose for leaks at first (cheap option). Then check the oil dipstick for grey/yellow slush....and check for similar residue under oil cap (although oil cap is not 100%).

Fill the water reservoir and let it idle without the cap on and see what is happening......if it starts to disappear have a look at the exhaust and see if its coming through there??

Plus just how much water are you losing, have a measure with a measure jug and then post your results on here inc how long you kept the car running did you rev it if so how long? and at how much revs....etc etc.
Old 22 February 2009, 07:51 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lalemmakate
getting a bit worried now my baby jus doesnt seem to be holding any water im having to fill the resevoir up every other day.the rad fans jus kick in right away.ive taken her of the road while i diagnose the prob.anyone give me any pointers. cheers.
well, if your loosing water, its leaking somewhere, right?

check for leaks?

its its not leaking, its going to be your head gasket
Old 22 February 2009, 07:59 PM
Slowboy Racing
Former Sponsor

Location: 10.68 QT mile in 2007 2.33 Type R ** Current 2002 Spec C 2.33 Track prepped.

Pressure test would be a good start, chances are if you have a small leak under pressure whist the engine is hot it will evaporate quickly leaving little trace other than a near empty header tank.

Failing no visible leaks found and pressure test complete, then further investigation into possible head gasket issue.
Old 22 February 2009, 09:18 PM
lalemmakate
Scooby Regular

cheers fellas, .there is no discoulering on oil dip stick but ive had another little tinker tonight cant find any split hoses either.after its warmed up and up to temp if i hold the revs on for a bit it starts backing up out of the overflow bottle.someones told me i need a better radiator cap as it cant hold the pressure could this have any effect on it.thanks again guys job would be f###ed whithout you lot on ere.
Old 22 February 2009, 09:31 PM
Beardy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lalemmakate
cheers fellas, .there is no discoulering on oil dip stick but ive had another little tinker tonight cant find any split hoses either.after its warmed up and up to temp if i hold the revs on for a bit it starts backing up out of the overflow bottle.someones told me i need a better radiator cap as it cant hold the pressure could this have any effect on it.thanks again guys job would be f###ed whithout you lot on ere.

sounds like head gasket has gone puting air into the system causeing to much pressure therefore going into your overflow. Had this when my HG went.

Or you have air in the system, your heaters working?

Also check your bottom rad pipe, if this is rock solid then again it's ya HG,

If this is the case id get a sniffer test done to make sure.

Last edited by Beardy; 22 February 2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 22 February 2009, 09:37 PM
speed.46
Scooby Regular

head gasket by the sound of it.
mine started using more and more water,temp was going up and down when driving.
dose it start with a mis-fire first time you start it???
but it dose sound like the head gasket
Old 22 February 2009, 10:25 PM
s20pe
Scooby Regular

sounds exatly the same as mine started blowing water out of the overflow looks like head gasket not a bad job to do yourself if you are good with the spaners but the motor will have to come out sorry mate
Old 22 February 2009, 10:50 PM
BovSTI
Scooby Newbie

Im having a similar problem with my V1 STi. My temp guage is rock solid where it is supposed to be, the heaters are working as usual, cant see any cracked pipes and the rad is practically brand new, no sign of water in oil or oil in water. Im getting it presure tested tomorrow, and i am praying it is not the HG. I am getting leaking on the ground from both sides with most of it appearing to come from the header tank (these are notorious for leaking in early scoobs).
Old 22 February 2009, 11:19 PM
speed.46
Scooby Regular

mine never had a leak either just after an hour of driving the water would of gone,im sure it will be the head gasket
Old 23 February 2009, 10:50 AM
Beardy
Scooby Regular

HG doesn't alway go Water - Cylender

Can also go Gases from cyl - water system, causeing it to over presserize therefore kicking it out of the overflow.

HG on your own will take about 5-7hours engine has to come out + inlet etc of. Use new head bolts + a good gasket.
Old 23 February 2009, 09:33 PM
lalemmakate
Scooby Regular

thanks fellas think im gona book it in for a pressure test this wknd.the old girls done 97000 so if it is an head gasket job ill think about getting an new engine whith lower miles,rather than pay a small fortune for the heads done.a low milage sti engine sounds like a good start good.