Notices

STI Version 2 Spark Plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2009, 04:42 PM
daytona2222
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI Version 2 Spark Plugs?

I've got a slight misfire that occurs on boost most of the time around 4 to 5k revs, so I'm going to change the coil-packs and plugs.

I was planning on going for the original fitment (NGK PRF6B's) since that's what I put in a couple of years ago and the car is a standard JDM STI Version 2 (except just the downpipe cat and a Japspeed exhaust), running on V-Power.

Has anyone got any strong opionions on the plugs? I'm usually very much of opinion that because when manufacturers develop their cars they test them thoroughly under a wide variety of conditions that if the car is standard then standard replacement parts are a pretty sensible thing to go for.

I gather that some people use the PFR7B in modded cars. What would happen if I used this in mine? Is that a stupid thing to do? Would they melt?

What about the Iridium plugs, etc? How can I be sure which one is right for the version 2?

Cheers,

JD
Old 20 February 2009, 05:12 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

I gather that some people use the PFR7B in modded cars. What would happen if I used this in mine? Is that a stupid thing to do? Would they melt?

pfr7b`s are usually what people fit nest in line when they have done a few mods the plugs you have at the moment are more than adequate for the job,
i fitted pf7bs to mine and didn't notice any difference and got them off of ebay, while you have the plugs out check the coil packs for cracks as this is the main cause for mifires fires on the early models.
Old 20 February 2009, 05:25 PM
steviecrump
Scooby Regular

make sure you gap the plugs correctly.If the gaps are wrong this causes miss fire on boost
Old 20 February 2009, 06:12 PM
daytona2222
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

What should the gap be?

Cheers,

JD