Notices

dayco cambelt

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2009, 02:18 PM
gazdon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dayco cambelt

just had a look at my cambelt on my 1997 impreza to see if it needs changing as i have no service history with the car the belt looks in good nick as you can still see the dayco print clear on the belt were these dayco belts fitted from new or would it have been a subaru belt she has coverd 86k regards gaz
Old 07 February 2009, 02:59 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

The wear will not show on the outside edge of the belt, so much as the teeth breaking away inside. The name DAYCO is simply running on the rollers and tensioners.

That said, and back to your question, I would imagine the name SUBARU would be on the original belt? ..... therefore I would guess it has been changed - but, a broken belt is a major disaster .. so, your call if no records are available for the Service History.
Old 07 February 2009, 03:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Original belt should have Gates and/or Subaru stamped on it. Being a MY97, it should have the belt changed every 3 years.

So by rights, it should be on its 3rd belt, and due its 4th belt this year.

Its not just the external condition of the belt - they have steel and nylon banding encased in the rubber, this does deteriorate with age.

Also the cambelt service is also the time when the condition of the bearings in the idler and tensioner pulleys as well as the water pump should be checked, as they can dry out and run rough/noisely, which could evetually fall off or seize. Also the tensioner is also an item that needs to be checked. Not to forget cam and crank seals, where leakage will damage the belt.
Old 07 February 2009, 07:44 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazdon
just had a look at my cambelt on my 1997 impreza to see if it needs changing as i have no service history with the car the belt looks in good nick as you can still see the dayco print clear on the belt were these dayco belts fitted from new or would it have been a subaru belt she has coverd 86k regards gaz

if in doubt change it i say not worth the risk of a very expensive rebuild.
i would also change the rollers/tensioners while it is stripped for my own peace of mind.
Old 07 February 2009, 09:16 PM
EOEUMC
Scooby Regular

I have just had a full service on my 93 WRX and was particularly interested in changing my cam belt. The old one was in great condition but at least I now know when it was changed and that it has been changed A Dayco was fitted on mine

So as johnnyroper said, best to be safe than sorry and you can't really tell what the teeth are like until you actually remove the belt.