Notices

running in a new engine

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2009, 12:40 PM
scotty_d
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running in a new engine

I am looking for a little advise one of my friends is picking up his 03 wrx on Monday from a Arnold Clark dealer the car has a new engine in it only covering less than 20 miles. My question is does the car require an oil change/service after 1000 miles run in? Or anything these engines require from new after run in period. Arnold Clarke don’t seem to know there **** from there elbow when it comes to Scoobs.

There is also a little smell of oil coming in to the cockpit, I am not sure if they have just spilled some when filling the engine up or maybe a leak some where I had a quick visual and could not see anything. It only when you stop then pulls away? I remember my wagon had this and it was the rocker gasket leaking on to the exhaust and smoke would then pour out the bonnet scoop, I should think his being brand new engine from Subaru it is not a gasket but is there anything commen it could be?

Cheers Scotty
Old 31 January 2009, 05:09 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes - change the oil and filter around the 1000 mile mark.
You might also want to ask what oil they are using for running in - fully synthetic is a No No.

Mick