Notices

Low idle/boost...MAF problems?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2009, 10:15 AM
damandblast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low idle/boost...MAF problems?

Right, well around 3months ago I had a problem with my MAF, Error #23 came up on the ECU so I got the MAF cleaned and the ECU reset and problem solved for a couple of months. Around 2 weeks ago it started to go again and error #23 was back on the ECU, so I brought another one of ebay and it was faulty and of course the engine man light was on perm with this fitted, so I cleaned up the old one (again) and dropped it on. Now I got a decent one last night and fitted it, no problems it seems with the MAF, looks in good working order and cleaned it using electric clean & wash just to make sure. Now it's an MY95 running a HKS Mushroom filter and of course this can cover the MAF with oil etc, so i've cleaned the filter out again prior to fitting to make sure it's at least clean at the moment, I did also have a slack accelerator cable so i've adjusted this and that didn't seem to cause any problems.
So after fitting the new MAF the car doesn't jerk around, doesn't have a lack of power until your slowing down or dropping towards idle. It can drop to 200rpm and then re-gain what it seems to be boost pressure and the idle will go back upto 800/900rpm, and the boost re-gains (now i'm only talking 0.1bar if that) this problem has only come on after the problems with the MAF, infact started at the same time.
I have yet to do an ECU reset since I can't get the bloomin thing to reset at all (must be me doing something wrong) so going to leave the battery disconnected for tonight as i've been told it should reset the ECU.
Last time I checked there wasn't any other error codes which was last week.
So could it be a the fact I haven't reset the standard ECU? Like I said, doesn't seem to be any lack of power once it's going. Throttle can be applied 100%, injection reads upto 99.8% peak and a low of 1.2/3%, boost will hold upto 0.8/9 bar in 1-2-3rd gear and then 1.0/1.1 in 4th and 5th and will hold during the rev range as well. The only problem I have is...a slight leak from the header tank (getting a new one in around 2 days) but it will hold the coolant at full for a good couple of weeks so nothing major...and then the current one which is low idle when slowing down, it will then regain a little boost and hold idle again normally.

Cheers for any help/advice.

Old 24 January 2009, 05:50 PM
damandblast
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right, little update.

The ecu has been reset and there isn't any fault codes on there. Along with the MAF problems the only other thing that's been adjusted or cleaned is the filter for the HKS mushroom induction and also I had to adjust the throttle head/accel cable the other night as it was slack.

The revs are only dropping as the car is warm (this is when it's more noticeable at running temp) and they only drop when your coming to a stop and have just put the clutch in, revs drop to say...400-600rpm and then repick up to 900rpm(ish) in a matter of a second and then hold there.

Hope that can help someone help me lol.