Notices

cooling {i think}

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2008, 05:32 PM
lalemmakate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling {i think}

please can anyone help me out.this is my first scoob and i dont want it to go bang.it a w,reg turbo 2000 and i love it to bits but ive jus taken her for a little blow out and she started smoking under the hood.when i got had a wee look and there was red hot water over flowing out of the resevoir bottle at the front by the battery.any help or advice is masivly appreciated.
Old 13 December 2008, 06:16 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

- It could simply be that the coolant system has been overfilled, and because the coolant expands when hot, has ejected the excess out via the expansion bottle.

- Or the expansion tank's 'radiator' cap is stuck in the open position, immediately allowing the coolant past, etc...

- Or it could be that there would have been too much pressure in the coolant system causing the expansion cap to open (std one opens at 0.9bar) allowing the expanded coolant through the overflow and into, and out of, the expansion bottle.

In the case of this 3rd point, there must be a reason. Possible thoughts are an overheating engine (did you check the temp gauge needles position?), which would raise the pressure. As a worst case scenario, this could be due to a failed head gasket!

I don't mean to scare you with the head gasket theory, lol... First, check and address the first two points (before thinking about overheating/excess pressure in the system). Then go for a drive round the block (so you don't get stranded should it do it again), get engine up to temp, and see if the needle rises further and check again under bonnet, etc., etc....

Last edited by joz8968; 13 December 2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 13 December 2008, 09:45 PM
lalemmakate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

aw mate your a life saver.its proper cutting me up.she was running sweet as a nut until toghnite.another thing is it had a ppp kit put on it,it already had this on when i bought the car.do you think this will make any difffrence.cheers again