Coughing and spluttering!!

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2008, 04:24 PM
clc1100
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coughing and spluttering!!

Hi, hope you are well.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas before my mechanic looks at my car on thursday.

Tried to start the car yesterday and it just wouldnt start. I had the ignition lights, the engine turned happily as it were but didnt fire. After leaving the car for an hr to calm down, I came back out and turned the ignition again and it started.

Problem is...

It was coughing and spluttering. The drove like that for about a mile while trying to limp back home but then basically near enough lost all power. The car appeared to tick over fine but as soon as you accelerated it just didnt have the power even to pull off.

Help!!

My fear is its the turbo, but i would like to think that even if the turbo has gone it would drive in low revs. A friend reckons its just the fuel filter or fuel related anyway.

Any accurate guesses or wild guesses would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance.

Dave.
Old 07 December 2008, 08:51 PM
solaman
Scooby Regular

mine had a similar prob where sometimes it would turn over but not start, leave for a some time come back and it would start first time splutter a bit then be ok, run for days then same prob again, was a new fuel pump that was needed all been ok since fitting one, check if u have power at the pump when u have problems with it turning over but no running.

damian.
Old 08 December 2008, 02:32 PM
clc1100
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the rapid reply.

I have just checked the relay which seems to be clicking with ignition, so i guess that works.

I cant remember, should there be a noise, whirling when ignition is turned on from the pump? I think there is meant to be.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08 December 2008, 02:56 PM
broken fingers
Scooby Newbie

Hi there,

My 97 did exactly what you described and, as with mine, I probably would point the finger at the fuel pump. Any hard, hard driving recently, or new mods can push the old pump too much and you’ll run lean. I bought a walbro 255 (after being rescued by the AA!) and it worked fine. Also it’s cheaper than Subaru main dealer for some reason? 65£ instead of 350£?!!!!!!

Small piece of advice though, if it is the pump, and you get a walbro, get a fuel pressure regulator (Sard or something similar) as the old one seems to die under the extra pressure and you could burn out piston no3. Apparently there seem to be quite a few heavy paper weights around.

Hope this helps..

Ps, in answer to question, yes. The pump will make a noise when actuating as it needs to build pressure in the fuel rail before starting. About 3 bar.