Notices

Inlet to rail seal.

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2008, 09:02 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inlet to rail seal.

On phase 1 inlet manifolds, there are the four large o ring type seals that sit in the large holes at the base of the IM, and each one of the the injector rail cups sit into these to form a seal, my car currently has a high idle, i have just swapped the idle valve, and re checked all the inlet to head bolts, all seems fine, but i still have this annoying idle, 2300 revs!.

I mention the injector rail to IM seals as when i push down on the front drivers side injector the revs drop down to what they should do!, if there was a leak there would it cause my stupid idle problem? i.e. would that be the air leak?, should it be pissing fuel? i probaly need to fit a new seal?, any thoughts welcome, please!!
Old 04 December 2008, 09:08 PM
adzer
Scooby Regular

yeah i'd say thats the problem, it wouldn't leak fuel if the seal has gone.
Old 04 December 2008, 09:13 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, although i am finding it hard to understand how it would not leak any fuel?, i know its not under fuel pressure, but the seal does seal of the inlet port, i thought some fuel might leak out?, maybe i am just chatting bollox as usual !!
hehe
Old 04 December 2008, 09:27 PM
adzer
Scooby Regular

if the seal is gone air is getting into the system and causing the revs to rise due to the extra air flow, it wont leak fuel as its injected into the cylinder and is burnt off, if the cylinder filled up with fuel and didnt burn then it would fill up to the seal and leak out the seal, that make sense lol?

one of my cars had a fuel problem so i unbolted the rail and held all four injectors out of the holes while engine was running to check they was all working fine, then just placed it over the holes to rest and run fine and didnt leak.......thats only reason i know lol.
Old 04 December 2008, 09:31 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

Thats a very helpful reply, cheers mate, its either one of those seals, or something very odd happening with the new inlet to head gaskets, and insulators!, i will need to check in the daylight now, where could i get new seals?, a part number would be very helpful!
Old 04 December 2008, 09:48 PM
adzer
Scooby Regular

main dealer would be a good call

i personally dont know what size the seal is but i have salvaged a few seals off scrap cars injectors to fit other cars.