Big Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2008, 09:31 PM
My Nan The Bavarian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Problem?

Good evening all.

I'm not sure if I have a fairly major problem on my hands here but I'd appreciate any advice people could give me.

About a year ago I had a problem where the belts at the front of the engine had come off resulting in a loss of alternator function and power steering. Upon closer inspection it was found that my crank pulley was loose and wobbling around on the end of the crank, even when the bolt was fully tightened. We removed the crank pulley and found that it was worn away

A mechanic mate of mine inspected it and said that the crank was OK and that the woodruff key was still there so I got hold of a new pulley. We fitted it and tightened all the belts back up and it was good as new

Unfortunately the same thing has happened again tonight resulting in me sitting waiting for the AA for 3 hours.

Obviously I'm fair cr*pping myself that there's something major amiss if it's done this twice

Does anyone have any idea why this might've happened and how I can go about fixing it?

Any help would be most appreciated as financially this couldn't have come at a worse time
Old 05 December 2008, 03:22 AM
dee052
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loctite the crank pulley bolt.
Old 12 December 2008, 06:29 PM
CDF Racing
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by My Nan The Bavarian
Good evening all.

I'm not sure if I have a fairly major problem on my hands here but I'd appreciate any advice people could give me.

About a year ago I had a problem where the belts at the front of the engine had come off resulting in a loss of alternator function and power steering. Upon closer inspection it was found that my crank pulley was loose and wobbling around on the end of the crank, even when the bolt was fully tightened. We removed the crank pulley and found that it was worn away

A mechanic mate of mine inspected it and said that the crank was OK and that the woodruff key was still there so I got hold of a new pulley. We fitted it and tightened all the belts back up and it was good as new

Unfortunately the same thing has happened again tonight resulting in me sitting waiting for the AA for 3 hours.

Obviously I'm fair cr*pping myself that there's something major amiss if it's done this twice

Does anyone have any idea why this might've happened and how I can go about fixing it?

Any help would be most appreciated as financially this couldn't have come at a worse time

Hi,

Do you have the pulley off your car?

If you do please send me a photo of the pulley. I can supply you with a new pulley and woodruff key

Chris