Notices

What problems could occur when fitting a VF35 turbo to a UK MY99?

Search this Thread

Old 24 October 2008, 08:06 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What problems could occur when fitting a VF35 turbo to a UK MY99?

how straight forward is the fitment? can there be inlet manifold issues? or any other.

just asking as i've just purchased one.

rgds,
Andrew.
Old 24 October 2008, 08:08 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will need to be remapped as soon as its fitted or that will cause you problems otherwise depending on how you treat the car, gearbox and clutch issues are not uncommon with the increased torque.

Tony
Old 24 October 2008, 08:18 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have one and gear box is fine so far done a few good starts and still hard gear changes spool up is still good and it dosent drop off at top end in the rev range it just keeps going. it is a strieght swap just put wd40 on to let bolts soak befor you start to strip it....decat or sports de cat would be an idea too
Old 24 October 2008, 08:37 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

thanks both, always appreciated.
clutch all uprated and new thanks tony and i'll be booking a remap before it's fitted . i was more worried about the direct swap/mechanical fitting.
andy.... the car has decat d/p and ported upipe n exhaust manifold, so hopefully this will help with lag reduction.
Old 24 October 2008, 09:00 PM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

that will be fine......mayve a good idea to up grad fuel pump to a 255lph walbro to keep the no3 cylinder wet with fuel and old one maybe getting tired ........wish id of ported myold headers and not put a 4 to 1 set on
Old 24 October 2008, 09:15 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

depends how far you push it, if mapped to its full extent be under no ilusions, you will be risking your gearbox, you may be lucky or you may not be, i was tha latter.

fuel pump is a must, other issue is the maf's arnt very strong on the later classics, the larger turbo could, and i say could, fry it pritty often, i had a vf34 fitted (which is very similar turbo) and it shat 2 out while being mapped so i ended up going mafless autronics.

allso oil temps could be an issue so a oil cooler might be required and i had a nock sensor fitted just incase.
Old 24 October 2008, 10:05 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

fantastic response, (new things to consider).
andy........fuel pump already uprated so already sorted.
tidgy... agree,...... gearbox, well you only live once. perhaps you can quote me this when i post in a couple of months that the box has all gone pete tong.
as for MAF, that's something i hadn't considered. i had a new one put on about 18k ago, but i suppose it's something to take a chance on. i have knock link fitted.
i think i'll just bolt the turbo on for now and get a tweek of the map. have considered front mounts and boost controllers etc, but what the hell. i'll just see what a bigger 'KAZOO' does first...............KAZOO - a metal musical instrument that produces a buzzing noise when blown into". lol.

Last edited by apac; 24 October 2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 25 October 2008, 01:42 AM
andyxros
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy

allso oil temps could be an issue so a oil cooler might be required and i had a nock sensor fitted just incase.
as for oil temps might be a good idea to look into cos my big ends are failing as a few week ago was giving it a goood thrashing prob first since all mods were dont few month back and next day got a rattle .cheaked oil and stupid me didnt top it up and was just about a millimeter on the dip stick so thought it would be that but......... may have oil temps also contrbuted to it
just something to think of due to my experiances and reading this thread i too might lookinto oil cooler when the re build is done
Old 25 October 2008, 11:45 AM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=apac;8221033]What problems could occur when fitting a VF35 turbo to a UK MY99?

You might end up going faster More fuel to spend money on, possibility of getting caught by the odd speed camera here and there. Big grin when the turbo kicks in

Iv been running a VF35 for about a year on my MY98. Walbro Fuel pump and an Apexi remap was all done at the same time. Was a very good set up and kept me happy for a while. Just fitted a Hybrid FMIC and its a hell of a lot quicker now so well worth the mod.

As for oil temps, the highest mine had got to is 95 degress on motorway runs and witrh the occasional major blast. The general opinion from what iv gathered is an oil cooler is really only needed for track days. But theres nothing wrong with fitting one IMO to be on the safe side. Gear box has lasted so far. Again, opinion from various people is that your pushing the boundaries of the gear box when your running a good 350lbs of torque throught it. But you could be one of the lucky ones and have a good unmolested box which will be fine all the way.
Old 25 October 2008, 04:28 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

[quote=Slick81;8222024]
Originally Posted by apac

You might end up going faster More fuel to spend money on, possibility of getting caught by the odd speed camera here and there. Big grin when the turbo kicks in

Iv been running a VF35 for about a year on my MY98. Walbro Fuel pump and an Apexi remap was all done at the same time. Was a very good set up and kept me happy for a while. Just fitted a Hybrid FMIC and its a hell of a lot quicker now so well worth the mod.

As for oil temps, the highest mine had got to is 95 degress on motorway runs and witrh the occasional major blast. The general opinion from what iv gathered is an oil cooler is really only needed for track days. But theres nothing wrong with fitting one IMO to be on the safe side. Gear box has lasted so far. Again, opinion from various people is that your pushing the boundaries of the gear box when your running a good 350lbs of torque throught it. But you could be one of the lucky ones and have a good unmolested box which will be fine all the way.

alot of folks don't know what there temps doing, i had mine fitted when i was hitting 110 on hot days at which poinmt i was backing off so would have gone higher. some cars seem to run hotter than others for some reason. mine first showed two years ago and touch wood (past head) still nothing major has gone wrong since having the cooler fitted
Old 25 October 2008, 08:38 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

im getting a vf35 fitted to my 99 wagon,and i will ensure that its not mapped to its full potential,i have standard gearbox and clutch,ill get the uprated pump,ik22 plugs etc,ill be looking at hopefullt 300bhp,if i get a bit less that would be ok cause a bit less power is better than replacing clutches and gearboxes.depends what power and torque you want,im not gonna push it,try to be safe if u catch my drift,hoprfully im right in thinking this.
Old 25 October 2008, 08:43 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Biggest problem will be getting rid of that STUPID GRIN !

LOL

DunxC

P.S. Monkeydile has just put mine on his classic and is surprised at how hard it hits the boost, and how laggy it is....
Old 25 October 2008, 10:01 PM
apac
Scooby Regular

[quote=Slick81;8222024]
Originally Posted by apac

i have been tinkering with the idea of adding a hybrid GT FMIC as well, before the mapping session with the VF35. how do you feel it has improved the performance of your enigne? and the general running of your car?
Old 25 October 2008, 11:01 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

uk classic should have the smallest size clutch (225?) on it, so the extra torque might over power it ?
Old 25 October 2008, 11:48 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
uk classic should have the smallest size clutch (225?) on it, so the extra torque might over power it ?
depends how far its pushed, limit of the turbo and clutch and gearbox are at risk
Old 26 October 2008, 01:32 AM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=apac;8223084]
Originally Posted by Slick81

i have been tinkering with the idea of adding a hybrid GT FMIC as well, before the mapping session with the VF35. how do you feel it has improved the performance of your enigne? and the general running of your car?
For me it was a worth while mod as the cooler air coming in from the front allowed for more torque to be applied to the mapping. Lower charge temperatures can only be a good thing The engine feels alot more eager now and runs a hell of alot better. Also economy is better now when driving sensibly. To be honest it is a little bit scary at times when its at full pelt so new brakes/discs are now on the list

IMO the FMIC can come at a later date. MY99 comes with probably the most important part already there and thats the injectors. 440cc injectors will see you to 350bhp with supporting mods. Looking at what you`ve got so far your already 3/4 of the way there. Get the VF35 on there and the remap and you`ll have a nice quick car pushing approx 300bhp with the standard top mount. If your pockets feel a bit deep then go for the FMIC id say and you`ll have a very very quick road car. IMO 300bhp+ with torque to match is more than enough for UK roads. Really a case of how far you want to go
Old 26 October 2008, 09:23 AM
apac
Scooby Regular

cheers. my car is already running 300+ torque figures, so i do need to be careful how far to push the gearbox. the clutch has been uprated to an exedy organic so should be good enough for what i'm after.
Old 26 October 2008, 10:06 AM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

When doing the physical swap I'd maybe be ready with up pipe to turbo gasket, downpipe gasket and some fresh bolts for the downpipe or at least some M10 1.25 nuts as I've had to chisle a couple off before and M10 1.25 nuts seem hard to get hold of 'on the street' I ended up getting some off ebay.

I'm looking at doing similar to my MY00 turbo at the moment and my list looks something like this...

VF35 or VF43
turbo gaskets (and a few spare nuts incase)
fuel pump
exhaust (inc de-cat or sports cat downpipe)
Panel filter (green or similar)
Fresh MAF
3 port boost solenoid

And once fitted obviously the ECUTEK

One thing I've been thinking of is getting an APEXI power FC for mine. Thought being that the ecutek is circa £650 and if/when you sell the car you'll get little back if you decide to revert to standard. If you get a power FC and remap it'll be a similar price but if you revert to std to sell the power FC will be worth the same money (if you'd bought it 2nd hand in the 1st place)?

Other thing I'm going to do is get a dump valve adaptor for the stock intercooler and run a std my97/98 dump valve reversed as I'm not convinced the std valve is not going to leak off boost. I worked on a friends my98 the other week and the dump valve was leaking off boost and when reversed the car held nicely and was much stronger at higher rpms. The 99/00 obviously has the dump valve on intercooler so can't be reversed hence the idea of the adaptor and reversed my97/98 valve.

Last edited by jameswrx; 26 October 2008 at 10:10 AM.