Notices

Do I get WRX or STI

Search this Thread

Old 22 September 2008, 02:44 PM
mikemac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I get WRX or STI

Hi guys. I have been searching for a good Subaru forum and this one seems to fit the bill, so hello! Im looking to buy a newer shape Impreza, (02, 03, 04 or 05) I have a couple of questions, I would be grateful if somone could answer. I will be using this car every day to commute so comfort is quite important. BUT, Im a petrol head so the faster the better

Is the WRX with PPP 265bhp? Has anyone got any 0-60 and MPG stats for this model? Can it easilly reach STI performance with mods?

Would I be very annoyed at myself if I didnt just go for the STI if I get a WRX? Is there much difference in ride comfort and MPG?

If I go for an STI, is it worth gettng one with the PPP? What mpg average is achievable if I stay off boost and drive as economically as I can with an STI? or, whats the cost to fill a tank and how many miles will that do?

What are the main differences betwen the bug eye model and the one after?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I make the right choice when shopping.

Thanks
Old 22 September 2008, 03:09 PM
ALZWRXSTI
Scooby Regular

Hi mate I would go for the sti everytime, ive got a standard 04 STI and its ace. Am going to get a few mods done over the next few months to take it up to around 300bhp (265 standard) If your wanting a subaru why drive it like a miss daisy to save fuel, its around £50 ish to fill up from empty and do around 300 miles I would say. Others on here may get better than that as people do say that if you get it remapped then the mpg does go up (bonus) And thats having a bit of fun doing it aswell. Standard sti will do 0-60 in about 5.2 secs but with a couple of mods 4.8 is achievable.
Old 22 September 2008, 03:15 PM
mikemac
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that mate. I think I will be going for the STI. That petrol cost you quote was around the same as my Nissan 200sx so thats not actually too bad considering.

What does the PPP have to bring the standard STI up from 265bhp to 305bhp then?
Old 22 September 2008, 03:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuel, 60ltr tank, 1.20 per ltr of super unleaded but if your going to modify the car then get the STi, bigger and better brakes, stronger internals, better gearbox etc (you get the gist )

Tony
Old 22 September 2008, 05:44 PM
fmp
Scooby Regular

STI everytime.

better in everyway.

dont expect to see much more than 200 miles from a tank of petrol (in my limited experience)
Old 22 September 2008, 07:28 PM
ALZWRXSTI
Scooby Regular

PPP is just a standard package mate so will be the same which ever car you put it on. I cant remember what you get but some one on here will know what you get. You can also forget the PPP and just get after market stuff or just buy it stages off ebay and fit it yourself. But you will more than likely need someone to do the remap for you though
Old 22 September 2008, 07:39 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

Ive got a WRX but definatly go for the sti.

theres loads forsale, so its a good time to buy!!

only reason why I didnt get an sti was at the time the difference in price between the 2 was about 4 to 5 grand!! - this seems to have gone down to about 2k difference at the minute.

plus being 21 at the time the insurance on the sti was £600 more than a wrx!!

good luck with your future purchase
Old 22 September 2008, 07:44 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't get the STI you will spend every day wishing that you had. I didn't, and I was forced to trade up after only nine months.

M
Old 22 September 2008, 08:05 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

agree completely with above.

Got a wrx myself as the price at the time for an sti was bit much for me.

ive now spent a fortune tuning it to get my power at present. when if i had brought an sti it would of been a better starting point with forged internals as standard.
everything on the sti is better.

You will enjoy the wrx but you will always think that you should of got the sti
Old 22 September 2008, 08:07 PM
hixxys STI
Scooby Regular

STI OR I U WILL CRY
Old 22 September 2008, 08:08 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought the WRX, get the STi - the power on a standard WRX is way too low and you'll spend a fortune modding it
Old 22 September 2008, 08:27 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

ive got a wrx - great car very capable and does what u want, just bought an 05 sti ppp - truely amazing car does waht u ask of it and more

get an sti with dccd on and a 6 speed box
Old 22 September 2008, 09:07 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

The WRX and STI are quite different to drive. I use my car everyday and found the ride on the STI too harsh. The kids couldn't settle in it, complaining of being bounced around.
I went for the WRX with PPP, and am now on my second. I don't track the car, so don't feel I miss out on the better brakes and stiffer suspension.
As far as performance goes, the WRX PPP is booked at 4.8 to 60. The midrange is far fatter than a standard WRX though.
Drive both and make up your own mind. Whichever, prepare to enjoy
Old 22 September 2008, 09:24 PM
mikemac
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the comments guys, very helpful indeed. Watch this space for a new black STI!! (or maybe blue).
Old 22 September 2008, 09:29 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

I kind of agree an STi would be a better choice if you want out and out performance. I have a classic mapped to 280 bhp and 312 lb/ft and plan on upgrading the turbo and reaching 330bhp. Total cost ie remap turbo fuel pump etc etc is going to be edging toward 2k. I'm happy with that for now, also a bonus to have a classic as the tax will be a lot lower (MY99). The big money will start to be spent if I want to go any higher, engine+gear box etc. So for me, if I wanted more than 330 ish then I would stop now and buy an STi instead. With regard to mpg I think 200 miles per tank on v-power at 124.9 ltr is average for spirited driving.
Old 22 September 2008, 09:54 PM
Bez300
Scooby Regular

I'v got a WRX it's fab I love the car, Its got some mods done to it and is now a lot mor BHP than STi.

I wish I got the STi though. they are better, if you get a WRX you will love it but every time you see an STi you will think I wish I got one off them instead, I do

Both ace cars though, good look bud.

Bez
Old 22 September 2008, 10:17 PM
Bikebloke
Scooby Regular

There are also TSL Sti out there for about the same £££ as standard sti. They have 3ins sportscat ex system,Re map uprated fuel pump 333bhp & 333lbs torque.
Old 22 September 2008, 11:37 PM
cptcaveman
Scooby Regular

Just to play Devils Advocate.

I've recently gone from an 05 wrx to an 55 STi. I loved the WRX, I had it PPP'd early on so i couldn't tell you what performance was like without it. I found the 5 speed gearbox really easy to use and for me the gearing felt right and comfortable. I've done about 10k in the STI and i still prefer the 5 speed gearbox over the six, its probably just me, but I always seem to have the change gear light on in the STI (its on and flashing, change gear, 500rpm later its on again), the gear ratios just don't feel different enough.

I corner at exactly the same speeds I used to before (aggressively) , even though the suspension is firmer in the STI.
The WRX did have slightly more body roll but I don't feel the STI lets me go any quicker round corners.

Now my STI is stock standard and has a different engine so its not a fair comparrison, but i do feel the WRX PPP'd was better from a standing start, the STI might have a slightly better mid range feel, but they both top out roughly the same, maybe 5mph higher on the STI.

I know its petty but I think my biggest grumble is the dash board creeking the slightly firmer suspension in the STI seems to introduce, in the WRX it was slight, but inthe STI its embarrasing, and whats with the velvet-ish interior in the STI, my WRX had the black crosshatched interior, and I could be wrong but all i've seen in STI's is the kind I have now.

For Fuel econemy, well just get used to the fact you are gonna get friendly with your local Shell staff, I've never managed more than 220 miles out of a tank and I average 185 (so I fill up twice a week), but then I don't do any motorway driving.

I found the DCCD knocks at low speeds (parking and such) so I find I have it turned off a lot (even the dealer recomended turning it off), so for me it doesn't factor as a major insentive for buying it, ohh and the STI's are prone to rear suspension problems so that might be worth factoring in, although 05 on WRX get the same problem.

Don't forget the Tracker subscription when buying, In the STI you have to have one for most insurances. Its a one off payment of nearly £500 or every year at over £100 (can't remember exactly)

Fellow STI drivers, I'm not bashing it, and I'd never change it. Like some have said I bought a WRX and always wished I'd had the STI, and I'm sure my opinion will change when I get it modded (got to finish paying for the thing first) but it is a heap extra cash (at least it was for me) for not a massive improvement. I guess I'm saying I love the STI but my heart still belongs to the WRX
Old 23 September 2008, 08:26 AM
MrJim
Scooby Regular

sti,bugeye
Old 23 September 2008, 09:14 AM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

My black STi bugeye maywell be for sale, as I need something bigger..
Old 23 September 2008, 09:49 AM
mikemac
Scooby Regular

Really appreciate the views on this chaps.

Someone said the fuel tank is 125 Litres, that seems mental big, is that correct??

One of the things I love most with the Impreza's is the lovely warble sound the engines in the classics make, I havnt heard any of the newage, am I right in thinking this beautiful sounds carried on to the newage models?

Appreciate the ind-depth views caveman. Does anyone else find the interior to 'creak' a lot. Is the ride going to be too harsh for usig the car to daily commute.

Thanks again guys
Old 23 September 2008, 10:02 AM
ALZWRXSTI
Scooby Regular

Im sure the tanks are only 50 or 60 litres sure its 50 but dont quote me on that
Old 23 September 2008, 10:12 AM
2000 sport
Scooby Regular

50L tank, off boost motorway run = 300miles. More spirited driving will reduce that to around 230miles (that is with PPP fitted). STi's do need Tesco 99 or V-Power..

My classic used to rattle and creak, but not my newage..

I don't find the ride harsh, but it depends what you are used to driving..
Old 23 September 2008, 10:23 AM
psigeek
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mikemac
Really appreciate the views on this chaps.
One of the things I love most with the Impreza's is the lovely warble sound the engines in the classics make, I havnt heard any of the newage, am I right in thinking this beautiful sounds carried on to the newage models?

Appreciate the ind-depth views caveman. Does anyone else find the interior to 'creak' a lot. Is the ride going to be too harsh for usig the car to daily commute.

Thanks again guys
The bugeyes (newage) still have a stock burble from the unequal headers. It's true there is a bit of rattle, but then it's plastic... nothing the stereo can't cover up.
Old 23 September 2008, 10:41 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

The only way you will make the right choice for yourself is to go and drive the car's you're interested in! I've had several WRX's and STi's, and I would certainly say STi all the way.
Old 23 September 2008, 11:04 AM
igralec
Scooby Newbie

Interesting, another 200sx owner tempted to buy an STI
Oh, what is PPP?
Old 23 September 2008, 11:20 AM
jeff mx
Scooby Regular

thinking of selling my 2003 sti type uk in blue.
32k with fsh and 1 previous owner. 18 prodrive wheels and blitz nur spec-r.
near mint condition.
£10999.00 any takers?
Old 23 September 2008, 12:51 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by igralec
Interesting, another 200sx owner tempted to buy an STI
Oh, what is PPP?
Prodrive Performance Pack
Old 23 September 2008, 01:15 PM
srm_sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrJim
sti,bugeye
^^^ couldn't agree more. It's a GREAT car from stock, and if needed it has the potential to be a BEAST. Matter of personal opinion but I think the bugeye is the best looking and it is cheaper than the blob and hawkeye. The burble isn't as good as the classic's, but that's nothing a exhaust can't fix. An answer to your earler question: The prodrive Power Pack consists of an uprated fuel pump (which all turbo Impreza's need as the stock one isn't upto the job), an exhaust system and an ECU. I'm not gonna lie insurance, petrol and just general maintenance is expensive but worth every penny. IMHO I would definately get a newage STI. You only live once, so whatever you do enjoy it.
Old 23 September 2008, 01:20 PM
IainMilford
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts

I have a 55reg WRX, initially started with the PPP. The PPP is good but the turbo lag really annoyed me, ie nothing until 3200rpm, so I am in the process of modding it up to around 320bhp, which is costing around 2K and will be completed this weekend. The PPP on the WRX is a new backbox, intercooler hoses and a remap, so as soon as you change something else you are effectively wiping out the PPP, so if you're planning to MOD the car you dont necessariliy need to start with the PPP.

I bought my WRX because at the time there were no STI's to match what I was looking for, my WRX is in very good condition and low miles, all the STI's looked ragged and all came with high miles.

At the end of the day it depends what you want to get out of it, if you are planning on tracking the car loads than an STI without question, if you want to go for 400bhp plus then go for an STI. If you want a fast road car, daily runner with the odd track use then consider a WRX. With some simple handling mods it is still a car to be reckoned with, and you wont have to pay the extra insurance/tax costs that come with an STI.

As for fuel, in my experience with or without the PPP, £55ish to fill up, 250 miles average. Lots of motorway use then 280, lots of fun and right foot action then expect somewhere around 220 - 230 miles.

Just my 2 pence worth

Quick Reply: Do I get WRX or STI