Notices

UK Classics go Bang?

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2008, 10:26 AM
Scoobydrive
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UK Classics go Bang?

I know this is a very broad question but generally are there many UK classics, MY99-00 mainly that have had to get engine rebuilds? I had one years ago and it was great but have been away for a while from the Impreza scene and thinking or making a return.
I have seen a good few jdm rebuilds but is there any reason that makes the model any less prone to going bang or are they all in danger of it, both jdm and UK?
Thanks.
Old 09 September 2008, 11:10 AM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That was the year of the weak MAF sensor, even more weakened by after market Induction kits. So that will play a part.
Old 09 September 2008, 11:13 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Scoobydrive
I know this is a very broad question but generally are there many UK classics, MY99-00 mainly that have had to get engine rebuilds? I had one years ago and it was great but have been away for a while from the Impreza scene and thinking or making a return.
I have seen a good few jdm rebuilds but is there any reason that makes the model any less prone to going bang or are they all in danger of it, both jdm and UK?
Thanks.
They're very strong engines if treated correctly. Many run in the low/mid 300s with no issues. The only real weakness is the MAF sensor, which is usually easy to spot.

Poor mods, lack of servicing and abuse are the main culprits when they expire. Of course, there are bad apples in every barrel, but on the whole, get a good one, and you're laughing. Keeping it won't be cheap though!

Ns04
Old 09 September 2008, 01:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

treat it well and dont try and push it too far and there reliable, im running over 340bhp on mine with nearly 90k on the clock and runs sweet as a nut ,

although i have got rid of the maf sensor and added an oil cooler etc etc
Old 09 September 2008, 02:07 PM
Scoobydrive
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies lads, just one other question that I asked in another thread but havent got any replies, I have seen a very low mileage one and he has just done 4.5k miles in the last 3 years but the last oil change it got was also the 4.5k miles ago. The car is mint, fairly standard and all seems fine but would you be inclined to walk away based on the long period. The mileage interval is perfect but the time interval is far from perfect. Could I face future problems? Would that have done some damage?
Old 09 September 2008, 02:32 PM
sy.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
They're very strong engines if treated correctly. Many run in the low/mid 300s with no issues. The only real weakness is the MAF sensor, which is usually easy to spot.

Poor mods, lack of servicing and abuse are the main culprits when they expire. Of course, there are bad apples in every barrel, but on the whole, get a good one, and you're laughing. Keeping it won't be cheap though!

Ns04
second this i have a my00 has had 3 maf replacements but still on original block now on 108k has been running 246bhp for 3+ years
Old 09 September 2008, 03:54 PM
85rob
Scooby Regular

my99's on 131k.

prodrive pack fitted since allmost new, and had the maf replaced twice. it runs sweet as a nut- touch wood, full service history too
Old 10 September 2008, 07:49 AM
sy.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 85rob
my99's on 131k.

prodrive pack fitted since allmost new, and had the maf replaced twice. it runs sweet as a nut- touch wood, full service history too
late uk classics rule!!! (when servicing and mods are done right) so you do have to change the maf a few times, but hey the road tax is cheaper