More bubbles!

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2008, 06:34 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More bubbles!

Hi all.

Havng read another thread on here ive noticed that I get bubbles in the little tall brown tank by the wing when I rev the engine of my 93 wrx.
There looks like evidence of water over-flow over a long period of time on the inner wing (lots of brown stains).
The car is running fine, the temp gauge is normal, no white smoke, water in oil or oil in water. Its just that the bubbles makes me think head gasket is on its way perhaps? Dont want to take it down to Mcrae meet next week and get stuck.

Could these bubbles be caused by a faulty expansion tank cap or low coolant level? - When I take the cap off the main tank and rev the engine there is lots of sloshing around which I guess could be the cause of the air/bubbles in the other little tank by the wing.

Any advice appreciated
Old 25 August 2008, 06:40 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dj219957
Hi all.

Havng read another thread on here ive noticed that I get bubbles in the little tall brown tank by the wing when I rev the engine of my 93 wrx.
There looks like evidence of water over-flow over a long period of time on the inner wing (lots of brown stains).
The car is running fine, the temp gauge is normal, no white smoke, water in oil or oil in water. Its just that the bubbles makes me think head gasket is on its way perhaps? Dont want to take it down to Mcrae meet next week and get stuck.

Could these bubbles be caused by a faulty expansion tank cap or low coolant level? - When I take the cap off the main tank and rev the engine there is lots of sloshing around which I guess could be the cause of the air/bubbles in the other little tank by the wing.

Any advice appreciated
It used to be white Could be running hot for a few reasons. My header tank failed around the seam and I have since learnt that these are common to fail. Also I have discovered a hairline crack in the rad. My coolant bottle does not over flow though. I would get it checked but then if its not losing coolant ?

I didn't think the Mcrae meet were traveling more than 40mph in convoy ?
Old 25 August 2008, 06:52 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Hi,
Car is not running hot and does not seem to be loosing loads of coolant - when stone cold the expantion tank is nearly full to the brim with water.
There was a little bit of fresh water by inner wing after a very hard run last night (which is what brought all this to my attention).
Ive checked the thermostat - OK.
The expansion cap does look/feel tired but it does not leak water.

True about the convy mate

Just been precautios.
Old 25 August 2008, 06:54 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

yes the rads and header tanks failed on my last wrx. they are prone to failing
thi one has some stains but seems to hold ok at the moment.
Old 26 August 2008, 07:53 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Replaced the rad cap tonight. Ill see if that cures the bubbles. There only small anyway. The new cap certinly has a much tighter fit and the springs felt stiffer.
Old 26 August 2008, 08:38 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Its fixed . No more bubbles. Fans dont kick in as much now either.
Fan has kicked in everytime ive driven it into the garage so far. Not tonight after fitting the new cap.
Old 26 August 2008, 08:46 PM
will_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got it sorted mate!