Notices

front mount intercoolers ?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2008, 09:43 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default front mount intercoolers ?

has anybody fitted a front mount and felt afterwards that their car drove better for it or is it all lack of throttle response a lag?
Old 27 August 2008, 12:59 PM
RA95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you fit a front mount with other supporting mods such as engine porting, headers, good piping etc. (i.e. a proper tuning job - not just slapping on a FMIC) then it's not all lag at all.

My car didn't get any more laggier, and indeed the greater workload being experienced by the turbo means car hits boost much more aggressively (with AVCr profile tweaks).

Low end performance was also helped by lightened flywheel etc.
Old 27 August 2008, 07:43 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Lazy driving can leave you in a laggy situation, but use the gears and it's fine...
Mine used to wilt in the heat of a British summer, could feel the power backing off as it got ever hotter. Now no problems, feels just as strong in summer as it does in the winter.

HTH

DunxC
Old 27 August 2008, 10:01 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for the responses, my car is running a 321h plus all supporting mods,the hot weather does kill the power a bit also i find if i,ve been giveing it alot of hammer it feels like it loses alot of power by the time you get into 5th a 6th i,m guessing this is caused by heatsoak with the top mount? does it sound like a fmic would help me keep more power for longer without noticing to much difference in throttle responce?
thanks dean.

Last edited by sti.dean; 27 August 2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 28 August 2008, 01:22 AM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Once it all set up and mapped properly you should`nt feel that much of a difference. Most likely the car will feel alot quicker because you`ll be getting more torque with the colder air from the FMIC. Iv just fitted a front mount on mine and the car does feel a bit lazier. But I havn`t had it mapped yet because Im still getting some other bits sorted first so runnning it on the lowest boost setting and being sensible, most likely the reason why it feels "lazy"

I dnt know all my turbos, but im guessing the 321h is a quite a big turbo.

Are you running a 2.0 or a 2.5?
Old 28 August 2008, 02:16 AM
AndyP's_P1
Scooby Regular

If your running a 321h then you should fit the fmic to get the bet out of it. TMIC can be a bit restrictive the higher up the power you go.

Im running a 321h with FMIC just now and do feel it to be a bit laggy but im also running on quite low boost due to clutch issues right now