Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2008, 07:43 PM
Mark391
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't no what turbo to get, Please help

Hi everyone,

As you can prob tell im new here so pleased to meet you all

I have a 1996 (p) STi import and from what Ive been told its got a ihi bearing turbo on it but its starting to whistle really loud so i can only guess its on its way out.

I ain't got much money and don't no what would be the best and cheapest turbo to replace it with, but don't want to loose any power

I don't no what BHP it is running but a couple of my mates have got over 350BHP skylines and i win when i race them

Any way all the help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.....

Mark
Old 16 August 2008, 08:05 PM
deansscooby
Scooby Regular

1k will get you a vf34 fuel pume injectors, then £650 remap. If thats to steep look for the same turbo you have second hand.
Old 16 August 2008, 09:44 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

yes a vf 34 is very good on a 2.0 ...with supporting mods will give you 340-360bhp and beats the skylines even more
Old 16 August 2008, 10:23 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You wont be able to remap a 96 STi without either replacing the ecu or putting a chip in there, I doubt the chip will be doable if your after a turbo replacement so look at a new ecu then remap, plus the turbo and injectors and a fuel pump (then the brakes as the standard ones suck, or do the brakes first, its better that way )

Tony
Old 17 August 2008, 12:10 AM
deansscooby
Scooby Regular

he ant much money please read OP to help the guy. hence turbo fuel pump remap or get a recon standard turbo.
Old 17 August 2008, 03:19 AM
Mark391
Scooby Newbie

Thanks ppl your help has been much appreciated, Ive got a couple more questions as well hope you don't mind answering them

What is a standard turbo for a 96 sti does anyone no? Also is a bearing turbo a lot better than a normal one? Ive all ready got a apexi ecu with hand control....

I just need to replace my turbo as cheap as poss but also don't no where to get one from.

Mark
Old 17 August 2008, 05:19 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
You wont be able to remap a 96 STi without either replacing the ecu or putting a chip in there,

Tony
he will AndyForrestPerformance

Trending Topics

Old 17 August 2008, 08:32 AM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

Are you sure the turbo is on its way out?????

The whistling noise could simply be a boost leak. I would rule that out before spending money on a new turbo.

Mike
Old 17 August 2008, 08:58 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

With Mike, a 'whistle' may be blade to housing contact (usually more a screach) but is more often a boost leak with no probs with the turbo at all!

Simon
Old 17 August 2008, 10:30 AM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

Hey,

Is it not natural for a turbo to atleast give of a little whislte?

Sorry for the dumb question as im new to all this too.

I ask because mine gives of a slight whislte when i take my foot of the gas. Sounds nice all the same
Old 17 August 2008, 01:32 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd definitely check your boost hoses first before suspecting the turbo. Most likely suspect is your turbo inlet pipe on the front of the turbo. These go brittle/slippery and often perish or come adrift right underneath where you can't get at them.
Old 17 August 2008, 01:41 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Á¢ïÐ
You need a simtek ecu for that, hence I said you wont be able to do it without changing the ecu

Tony
Old 17 August 2008, 01:54 PM
Mark391
Scooby Newbie

I don't no how to describe the noise its just whistles really loud and whistles when its ticking over then when i rev it it gets worse but i never loose any boost/power, also not very often but i have heard it make a weird noise when I'm on high boost, the thing is i don't no much about turbo's and i don't want to spend £'s and doing the wrong thing when it could be cheaper to buy a second hand or new one.

What would it cost for a second hand turbo that will fit straight on, all i no its a ihi bearing is this a standard one?

Thanks

Mark
Old 17 August 2008, 02:52 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Consider the VF28 turbo as fitted to the P1. (if yours is goosed)
I got mine for £200 (fully refurbed) the VF35 usually go for around the £350-£400 mark.
Old 17 August 2008, 03:08 PM
Mark391
Scooby Newbie

where did you get yours from, can i get mine refurbished for £200 then?
Old 17 August 2008, 03:29 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark391
where did you get yours from, can i get mine refurbished for £200 then?
I got mine from a very reputable seller on hear that deals in used parts. I think his name is HarveySmith. He does the refurbs I believe.
Have a look on the P1woc there are usually 1 or 2 for sale on there or the for sale section on hear.
Old 17 August 2008, 04:00 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

By far the simplest option if the turbo requires replacement is to replace it with an identical copy. Anything else either requires a remap (which would probably cost more than a reconditioned turbo), but I'm guessing if you're outrunning Skylines you've got an aftermarket ECU of some kind in there
The 'whistling'; is it a whistle (air escaping somewhere), a whine (bearings) or a screech (something scraping)? And does the frequency go up & down with rpm? Generally speaking this would be very noticeable revving gently at tick-over if you have an induction kit & can be normal with a roller-bearing turbo. A sleeve bearing shouldn't make that noise, so it's important to find out what turbo you've got...
Any idea when the oil was last changed, and what oil it's running? The wrong viscosity (through age or the wrong type) can make the delicate innards of a turbo unhappy & it could start making noises.

However... I have a feeling you're running a VF22, which is the largest IHI turbo and would be capable of outrunning Skylines as standard fit. It's not known for its solidity as the compressor wheel has a tendency to break - IIRC, it expands under heat, smacks into the side of the housing and after making an unpleasant screechy noise, breaks itself into little bits. Fortunately these are cheap! It's worth confirming that you have a VF22 (I have no idea about the identifying marks I'm afraid), but if that's what it is, replace it ASAP before it pops as at that point you just have to hope the intercooler catches all the bits before they get into the engine proper... VF22s can't be refurbished, AFAIK, but they're cheap enough gor that not to really matter!

Last edited by nom; 17 August 2008 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Adding something useful!
Old 17 August 2008, 04:31 PM
Mark391
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by nom
By far the simplest option if the turbo requires replacement is to replace it with an identical copy. Anything else either requires a remap (which would probably cost more than a reconditioned turbo), but I'm guessing if you're outrunning Skylines you've got an aftermarket ECU of some kind in there
The 'whistling'; is it a whistle (air escaping somewhere), a whine (bearings) or a screech (something scraping)? And does the frequency go up & down with rpm? Generally speaking this would be very noticeable revving gently at tick-over if you have an induction kit & can be normal with a roller-bearing turbo. A sleeve bearing shouldn't make that noise, so it's important to find out what turbo you've got...
Any idea when the oil was last changed, and what oil it's running? The wrong viscosity (through age or the wrong type) can make the delicate innards of a turbo unhappy & it could start making noises.

However... I have a feeling you're running a VF22, which is the largest IHI turbo and would be capable of outrunning Skylines as standard fit. It's not known for its solidity as the compressor wheel has a tendency to break - IIRC, it expands under heat, smacks into the side of the housing and after making an unpleasant screechy noise, breaks itself into little bits. Fortunately these are cheap! It's worth confirming that you have a VF22 (I have no idea about the identifying marks I'm afraid), but if that's what it is, replace it ASAP before it pops as at that point you just have to hope the intercooler catches all the bits before they get into the engine proper... VF22s can't be refurbished, AFAIK, but they're cheap enough gor that not to really matter!
I wanted to stay with the same turbo so i don't end up with loads of different problems after and regretting it.....

I really don't no how to describe the noise if you could hear me i can make the sort of sound just not in words lol! It don't smoke or loose any power or boost, and i don't think the whistle has got any louder maybe a minuet, i haven't got a air filter fitted just the standard box and dump valve?

I have changed the oil a couple of times i think it was semi 10-40 don't hold it to me tho i'm not 100% sure

If i take a pic and post it will there be a lot of difference in turbo's to no what it is? All i no that it has ihi on it and is a bearing turbo that is running 1.2 bar then drops of to 1bar,

I have not got a clue what it is running and when i had a look at the ECU it looks standard with no add on's ect! But i must say it is quick and have not lost a race against another scooby yet and my mates skylines are running over 350bhp and i beat them

If i cant find the same turbo what would be the safest and cheapest option
to change it to? (VF28-VF34-TD04-TD05) ect?

Thanks

Mark
Old 17 August 2008, 04:58 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

You will be able to find the same turbo! VF22s are very 'standard fit' - they came with some of the early STIs, but are popular after-market ones too as they are cheap and easy to get hold of!
The cheapest replacement will typically be an exact replacement anyway - if you use something else, you'd at least need to get a seperate boost controller (fuelling should typically be ok) - although this could obviously be a 'manual' one therefore cheap, I suspect you wouldn't like the car very much after a change as all the ones you list will reduce you car's power. Assuming it is a VF22 . And making the same assumption, you could well be on the standard ECU but I think the boost may have been raised - there's a large pile of different ways of doing this, so best not worry about it too much at the moment! And I'm not sure what the standard boost pressure is & IHI don't release compressor maps so couldn't work it out either...
Oil: always use fully synthetic, preferably 10-50 or close. Opinions vary on the best brand - I like Motul as it provides 3 bar at idle and is very stable even when cold, but others will be fine too.
As for identification, you may be able to read something useful on the raised rectangular 'plate' at the compressor outlet? I'm not sure what sort of thing is written on there normally but it should be some form of identification... If it's unreadable, it's down to looking at the compressor blades, I think - VF22s have 5 blades, other common units with identical housing have 6.
Old 17 August 2008, 05:12 PM
Mark391
Scooby Newbie

Ok cool, thank you for your help it has been much appreciated

I think the best thing i can do now is get the turbo taken off and find out what it is.....

I just had a look round ebay and the VF22 goes for about 3-400, how long do turbo's normally last or would it be best just to go for new/refurbished?

I hope i don't have to much trouble, when it comes to cars its seems never ending should have stuck with a push bike LOL

Mark
Old 17 August 2008, 06:59 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Ah - push bikes - the delight of being able to completely strip & rebuild a precision carbon-fibre machine within one day at virtually no cost is very pleasant . Anyway, VF22s... I'd avoid ebay for turbos - there are fakes about which look identical but have nothing like the performance - and will fall apart - and unless you know what you're looking for, you can't tell until it's fitted. The mileage you get out of a turbo will vary with the turbo itself, how it's used & how well it's maintained. I'd hope to get around 75,000 miles out of one that's fairly heavily blasted but well maintained, although the VF22s & their 'springy' compressor wheels are among the shorter-lived types, I don't believe it's a problem until you start running boost over around 1.2bar. You're probably fine getting second-hand (but again - not from ebay!) as many people will try a turbo for a few thousand miles then swap it for something else - should be able to get some bargains there! There are companies such as Turbo Dynamics that will check over turbo if you want to make sure it's ok (I don't think IHI turbos can be 're-cored' though, so if it's shot, it' shot).
Old 17 August 2008, 10:06 PM
xX Domino Xx
Scooby Regular

AndyForrestPerformance
defo worth a shout if you need a replacement
Old 17 August 2008, 10:10 PM
deansscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nom
Ah - push bikes - the delight of being able to completely strip & rebuild a precision carbon-fibre machine within one day at virtually no cost is very pleasant . Anyway, VF22s... I'd avoid ebay for turbos - there are fakes about which look identical but have nothing like the performance - and will fall apart - and unless you know what you're looking for, you can't tell until it's fitted. The mileage you get out of a turbo will vary with the turbo itself, how it's used & how well it's maintained. I'd hope to get around 75,000 miles out of one that's fairly heavily blasted but well maintained, although the VF22s & their 'springy' compressor wheels are among the shorter-lived types, I don't believe it's a problem until you start running boost over around 1.2bar. You're probably fine getting second-hand (but again - not from ebay!) as many people will try a turbo for a few thousand miles then swap it for something else - should be able to get some bargains there! There are companies such as Turbo Dynamics that will check over turbo if you want to make sure it's ok (I don't think IHI turbos can be 're-cored' though, so if it's shot, it' shot).
How can you tell a fake vf34
Old 17 August 2008, 10:15 PM
drive
Scooby Regular

or try Midland Turbo

ceri
Old 17 August 2008, 11:07 PM
deansscooby
Scooby Regular

how can you tell a fake fv 34
Old 17 August 2008, 11:17 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Isnt therre a silver plaque on the turbo to say what it is?
My VF28 had one on it?

If yours is a VF22 or whatever, either look on here in the for sale ads of even better, look for an sti the same age as yours breaking for spares and get one off it.
Old 17 August 2008, 11:33 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Fakes? No idea - or rather no idea without having a look/feel. Which is the problem .
Old 17 August 2008, 11:37 PM
Mark391
Scooby Newbie

thanks people much appreciated

Ive also noticed since ive been looking for a turbo that even tho mine is a 1996(p) reg STi it has the new front end and all the other 1996(p) are the old style, does that mean it has been changed or they changed that year?

Thanks

Mark
Old 18 August 2008, 01:30 PM
xX Domino Xx
Scooby Regular

changed over that year bud so youve probably got one of the slightly later ones
Old 18 August 2008, 04:29 PM
Mark391
Scooby Newbie

Yepeeeeeee