Whats Under My Bonnet?

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2008, 08:47 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats Under My Bonnet?

Hey guys,

Firstly let me say that im very new to scoobys, infact so new that im guilty of beeing a virgin

I have recently purchased ( 3 weeks now ) an N - reg WRX 2ltr turbo, jap import classic shape. The thing is i didnt get the chance to ask the previous owner what was what under the bonnet nor can i find anywere on the net the exact model of my car for the spec.

Im not sure what model it is other than its a WRX Import.

I hear guys talk on here about classic STI's, R's and RA's. They also talk about I.C which is something to do with the intercooler ( intercooler spay bottle ) and also they talk about ABS vrs Intercooler bottle. Other thing i have read is ABS vrs DCCD.

To give you some info on the car i have, here is what is fitted.

2ltr turbo WRX Jap Import
Induction Kit ( huge F**k of cone filter, Not K&N )
Bailey Dump Valve
Full Scorpion Race Exhaust

And the rest of the engine is standard.

The rest of the car comes with >

Front and rear full electric windows and mirrors, Electric ariel ( when the radio switches on ). Air con, MOMO steering wheel, The dials on the dash are white and read WRX, the front fogs lights are opperated by a button on the left hand side on the steering wheel ( on the dash behind the indicator lever ).

Im hoping by the description im giving here is enough for someone to tell me what model i have. Moreover, imhoping someone good show me a picture of the above mentioned engine and show me what is what in there. Imnot hot up on Japanese which the manual comes in lol

Here is a pic of the scooby >

I can get a pic of the engine bay up 2moro if need be.

Many thanks in advance guys, its greatly appreciated

Sweet As!!

Last edited by Steviem; 30 July 2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 30 July 2008, 08:53 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

looks like a basic wrx to me,almost all (but not quite) typeR's are 2 door and RA's were white,if theres a little wheel and lights between the speedo and rev counter its god dccd but i doubt it,wont have ic spray either and should have ABS your model code should be GC8C48D
Old 30 July 2008, 08:57 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hopefully under the bonnet is an turbo charged boxer engine

Have a look on your VIN plate then look here to understande the code (starts GC8)

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | SidcFaq / Japanese Production Runs.

I would guess you have a standard WRX

this is my engine from a 93wrx

Old 30 July 2008, 08:58 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by exvaux
looks like a basic wrx to me,almost all (but not quite) typeR's are 2 door and RA's were white,if theres a little wheel and lights between the speedo and rev counter its god dccd but i doubt it,wont have ic spray either and should have ABS your model code should be GC8C48D

Thanks for the Quick reply mate. No there is no wheel or lights on the dash. How do i find the model code GC8C48D?

Thanks again mate

Sweet As!
Old 30 July 2008, 09:02 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

myblackwrx, Yea man thats exactly the same as my engine. Ill get looking for the code in the morning.

Would it be to much to ask what is what under your bonnet

Thanks man

Sweet As!
Old 30 July 2008, 09:03 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

VIN plate on the passenger side suspension turret (my picture, silver plate just to the right of the pink thing)

Won't have DCCD as your car is too early and it's not an STI.
Old 30 July 2008, 09:06 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
VIN plate on the passenger side suspension turret (my picture, silver plate just to the right of the pink thing)

Won't have DCCD as your car is too early and it's not an STI.

Thanks again mate. Im sorry for all the dunb questions lol,but i suppose we have to learn somewere eh?

Sweet as!!
Old 30 July 2008, 09:08 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steviem
myblackwrx, Yea man thats exactly the same as my engine. Ill get looking for the code in the morning.

Would it be to much to ask what is what under your bonnet

Thanks man

Sweet As!

standard except for the Apexi induction kit,Juran strut brace,blue earthing kit and Zero Sports slam panel and more importantly a turbo charged boxer engine
Old 30 July 2008, 09:11 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks again mate. Im sorry for all the dunb questions lol,but i suppose we have to learn somewere eh?

Sweet as!!
well if you don't ask you won't know

turbo should be TD05-16G
injectors are grey 380cc
ecu is under passenger footwell (under a kick plate) should be Z4

www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk has a help page on how to manually read error codes in case you get any.
Old 30 July 2008, 09:13 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

Nice one mate, what bhp are you running. Ive been ledto believe mines putting out 318 but ill more confident when i get it on the rolling road!

Is the standard WRX a good engine. yes mine too is the boxer turbo engine. How tuneable are they?

Sweet as!!
Old 30 July 2008, 09:14 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

well if you don't ask you won't know

turbo should be TD05-16G
injectors are grey 380cc
ecu is under passenger footwell (under a kick plate) should be Z4

www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk has a help page on how to manually read error codes in case you get any.
BIG thanks for that man, greatly appreciate that very much :-)

Sweet As!!
Old 30 July 2008, 09:20 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Well it won't be putting out unless ithe ecu has been modified as yours when new was running 260ps (256bhp).
mine is putting out 251bhp (it is 15 years old so a few bhp was bound to be lost)
You can easily get 300bhp out of a wrx engine but it all depends how much you want to or can afford to spend.
Brakes are pretty poor on early cars,late model 4 pots (embossed with SUBARU on them),better pads ,fluid and goodridge hosing are quite a good upgrade and will fit under those wheels as they look like bugeye impreza 17s
Old 30 July 2008, 09:32 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

Im thinking my ECU has been remapped when the induction kit and scorpion was fitted. Ya see i bought the car of a guy who does the mechanic work for Mark Higgins and he was going to rally it himself, so im figuring some engine MOD has been done. I dont know because i cant get speeking to him and he didnt get much infoof the previous owner. Im thinking a visit to the garage to get a run down is on the cards soon

I also heard that 276BHP was the standard on Imports if run on 97ron fuel??

Sweet As!!
Old 30 July 2008, 09:38 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

276bhp is for late model wrxs only (STIs are another matter though)

Your car will be fine on 97 RON but would be best to run it on V power or Optimax (not BP Ultimate as that seems to disagree with impreza engines).

ECU doesn't have to be remapped for the minor mods made to your car.

Take it to a rolling road and get some definate answers of power,fuelling and boost and general health of the car.
Old 30 July 2008, 09:49 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

276bhp is for late model wrxs only (STIs are another matter though)
Ah i see

Your car will be fine on 97 RON but would be best to run it on V power or Optimax (not BP Ultimate as that seems to disagree with impreza engines).
What garage deals in V-power, does Texaco? Ive been getting my fuel from them, just hope the previous owners have done the same and not used the basic 95ron lol

ECU doesn't have to be remapped for the minor mods made to your car.
Thats good to know. Looks like i have a basic engine then which gives me plenty of scope to do my own upgrades

If my Turbo is TD05-16G, what would be the next turbo upgrade to get and what extra BHP would it give me, also is there any other additions to accompany this. Obviously upgrading my brakes is a must, just like you mentioned. My calibers are plane red with no writing on them!!

Take it to a rolling road and get some definate answers of power,fuelling and boost and general health of the car.
Yea i think thats the way mate. Ill get it booked in some time very soon!

Sweet as!!
Old 30 July 2008, 09:55 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

V power is Shell only i'm afraid but anywhere that deals in 97 ron should be fine (tbh most supermarkets deal with super unleaded nowadays).

td05 16G is good for 340bhp max (with fuelling mods ,remap etc) which is going to be the limit for engine,clutch and gearbox.

Personally 300bhp in a classic is going to be a quick car.
Old 30 July 2008, 10:05 PM
stigaz
Scooby Regular

have a look on andyforrestperformance.co.uk it will give you stages of mods you can do,

to just change the turbo on its own would be a waste of time ,you would also have to do a list of other mods, bigger intercooler sti 7 or 8 or front mount , bigger injectors ,etc. check out andy forrests site its better explained there
Old 30 July 2008, 10:08 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

V power is Shell only i'm afraid but anywhere that deals in 97 ron should be fine (tbh most supermarkets deal with super unleaded nowadays).
Yea i had heard that Shell has good cleaning properties in there fuel. I think ill give them a try for a while!

td05 16G is good for 340bhp max (with fuelling mods ,remap etc) which is going to be the limit for engine,clutch and gearbox.
How do i find out what turbo is fitted, can i find that out without the help of a garage? I forgot to mention the gear box is close ratio.

Personally 300bhp in a classic is going to be a quick car.
Yea im happy with the power as is. My pal is a 2ltr Supra with Nitros and when we go head to head, i pull away everytime, even with his Nitro's on. His Supra runs 297BHP with the nitros.

Whats the average cost on a remap on the rolling road?

Cheers man

Sweet As!!

Last edited by Steviem; 30 July 2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 30 July 2008, 10:14 PM
Steviem
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stigaz
have a look on andyforrestperformance.co.uk it will give you stages of mods you can do,

to just change the turbo on its own would be a waste of time ,you would also have to do a list of other mods, bigger intercooler sti 7 or 8 or front mount , bigger injectors ,etc. check out andy forrests site its better explained there
Yea thats what i was thinking man, adding additons would certainly benefit it!!

Ill check out the link mate. Many thanks for the info, means alot

Sweet as!
Old 31 July 2008, 07:47 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Yea i had heard that Shell has good cleaning properties in there fuel. I think ill give them a try for a while!

How do i find out what turbo is fitted, can i find that out without the help of a garage? I forgot to mention the gear box is close ratio.

Yea im happy with the power as is. My pal is a 2ltr Supra with Nitros and when we go head to head, i pull away everytime, even with his Nitro's on. His Supra runs 297BHP with the nitros.

Whats the average cost on a remap on the rolling road?

Cheers man

Sweet As!!
on the front of the turbo there should be ID marks ,you may have to remove a few hoses and get a torch into the gap to have a look.

Have a look on the jollygreenmonster link as basically he will map all the options avaliable to you (and will travel if expenses are paid) but it all depends on what ecu you go for really cheapest option is about £600.

Then there is the argument between rolling road mapping and road mapping to see which gives the best result.
Old 31 July 2008, 08:52 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

The picture also shows what looks like a front mounted intercooler - the number plate has been moved out of the air flow, which gives it away.
With the the front mount fitted, the standard intercooler will be removed.
Given the other mods you know about then chances are it has been remapped or has an alternative ECU fitted.
If no work has been done to the engine management system with those mods then be very careful!

An engine bay piccie is really needed.
Old 31 July 2008, 02:29 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

The cost you paid may also help with how modified it is
Old 31 July 2008, 02:45 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have a read here Subaru Impreza Drivers Club think thats the link and look under faq's

Tony