Notices

what parts to replace big end bearings

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2008, 03:23 PM
damotypeR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what parts to replace big end bearings

hi can someone give me some idea on what bits are needed to replace big ends on a 94 wrx. ie bearings, gaskets,etcs cheerss
Old 28 July 2008, 04:45 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the engine knocking, as it may be cheaper to get a short block.
speak to David at API he is very helpful, otherwise you will be looking at a full gasket set, if the engine is knocking, as all the bearing material ends up in all the places you don't want it to be.
So full strip and clean and measure, new oil pump and modine cooler, maybe new crank, all bearings including mains. The problem will be having all the correct measuring equipment to check tolerances as you build it back up.
Old 28 July 2008, 04:59 PM
Ami
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my big end went, it took also crankshaft and conrods. Two of those got bent a bit from high temprature of friction. Just good idea to check them.

New belts, rolls and of course water pump is a must anyway. I would also suggest to change modine cooler - it will not change the total price too much. However it costs, that's the price of peace of mind. Very good idea is also to clean all oil ducts.

Check also pistons and rings - good opportunity to do that.
If rings are old - replace them, too (that's actually what I did)

Actually a short block can be indeed cheaper, however if block is good etc. this may be a good opportunity to make the engine stronger with forged parts.
More expensive, but if you give the engine to the right workshop you'll know very good what's inside and what can you expect from it more or less.

Also good idea to polish/hone some parts of engine. The good machinist will know what to do I think.

Isn't my94 WRX engine the closed one? or at least semi-closed? If so, I would go for good rebuild if block is good.

good luck
Old 28 July 2008, 07:01 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a thread going on Projects about a rebuild due to bottom end failure (Budget DIY Rebuild). In general though, you can get a standard rebuild done by API for only a little more than it would cost you in parts to rebuild your own block. That's unless you're going for a forged rebuild in which case your best off building your own if you want to keep costs right down. Whatever way you look at it, £1500 is a good starting figure to reckon on at which point, a ready built 2.5 short block is an excellent option.