Notices

Resetting ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2002, 10:36 PM
ScoobyRAZ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know this will have been asked a million times but what is the quickest way of resetting the ECU . I'm about to start using octane booster in my standard MY99 turbo and want to reset the ECU once it's in.

Cheers
Rich
Old 06 February 2002, 10:45 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Hi Rich,

Taken from MRT's website http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/:

How to re-set your ECU unit.
ECU clear memory procedure is as follows for auto and manual transmissions:

With engine at operating temperature, turn engine off. Place gear shift lever into park (auto transmission cars only)
Locate the two ECU check connectors, for most cars they are located under the steering column and consist of a black plastic male and female connector, and a green male female connector. The exact location of the connectors varies with the different year models, but generally they are located under the steering column on the drivers side.
NOTE: sometimes they are still taped over with some small amount of plastic tape, so look hard, they will be there!
With the ignition OFF connect black to black and green to green.
Turn on ignition, do not start the engine, (and for auto transmission, cycle the gearshift lever from park to neutral and back to park ), depress the accelerator pedal to full throttle and hold for a few seconds, and then release.
Start engine and then drive for at least one minute, keeping road speed above 11 Km/h.
ECU is now re-set.
At this point the check engine light should start to flash the all clear signal (steady 1/2 second interval flashes). If the check engine light does not flash, or indicates some other sequence, there is a fault present in the system, and should be professionally checked for necessary repairs.
Once, stop the car and turn off the engine.
Disconnect the plugs.
Job complete

Hope that helps,
Cheers, Neil.
Old 06 February 2002, 11:20 AM
nadger
Scooby Regular

I may be wrong but isn't ecu from MY99 onwards self learning and will adjust to increase in octane
Old 06 February 2002, 12:27 PM
dlehtihet
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yes, it is supposed to be self regulating from my99 onwards. Don't know if it is pshycological, but i felt that my my00 was quicker after i did the infamous ecu-reset

Oterwise, just try to unplug the battery for a couple of hours. That should also do the trick.

Regards

Daniel
Old 06 February 2002, 09:32 PM
ScoobyRAZ
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers Neil for the info & link. Do you know if the ECU check connectors on a MY99 turbo are under the steering column? I can't be arsed to go outside know and start pi**ing about looking.

Does anyone know for definite that the ECU (mine is the AE801-brown label) in a MY99 turbo is self learning/regulating and adjusts to the increase in octane? Someone out there must know surely.

C ya
Rich
Old 07 February 2002, 10:12 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Rich,

I have an MY99 ae800 and yes the connecters are definately there, but you need to be very supple to get in there The were right up in the dash around the steering column.

Its true the MY99+ learns very quickly but some people still swear by a reset. The 99+ cars learn after a tank or 2 but its only the MY01 that learns in real time.

Cheers
Neil