Notices

Cooling system problem...HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2008, 10:12 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling system problem...HELP PLEASE

I have just re-built my engine, and put it back in today. Everything is fine & working except that the car is getting real hot, real quick, just on tickover. It seems that the top rad hose is scorching and the lower rad hose is cold. Ive tried to pump any possible air locks out, and removed the rad to see if that was blocked (I put a garden hose through it) and its fine. The fans come on and the radiator doesn't really feel hot at all.

I didnt replace the water pump on the re-build as it looked brand new, but I obviously replaced the thermostat.

Any ideas or tips would be great, I cant wait to drive her as I know shes good to go!

Thanks
Old 19 July 2008, 10:17 PM
steviecrump
Scooby Regular

take the small hose off the header tank when water with no air comes out you are ok
Old 19 July 2008, 10:22 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

I had this problem with mine and the ONLY way we could get round it was to remove the top hose going to the radiator from the engine end and fill it from there while pumping the bottom hose. When it would take no more water we then topped up the header tank and it finally worked. We tried all other documented methods with no joy whatsoever. Oh yeah, mine's a 96 classic 2l turbo wagon
Old 19 July 2008, 10:29 PM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Remove the coolant hose which leads from the header tank to turbo. Leave the hose connected at the turbo end & pour in the coolant slowly.
Also remove the smaller hose from the rad to header tank (rad end only).

I usually measure about 7.0 litres of coolant mixed/anitfreeze) and then slowly pour into the header tank, then through the turbo hose until the coolant comes out the small pipe from the top off the rad. I reconnect the hoses & then give it a top up. Dont forget to fill the expansion res too (battery side).

Start the car & set the blower on hot/vented to screen. You should feel constant hot air once warm. If you feel cold air then let the car cool down & top up the coolant level both from the header tank & expansion tank.

This method has worked alway for me.
Old 21 July 2008, 03:28 PM
NorthDownsScooby
Scooby Regular

Have you put the fan back on the right way round...? Worth a quick check
Old 21 July 2008, 05:07 PM
Tucker82
Scooby Regular

All sorted now..I tried what bigdyl69 & ticky both said, filled it slowly with a funnel through the turbo pipe.. until the coolant came out of the small pipe @ the top of the rad. also filled it from the top of the egine. worked first time! CHEERS FELLAS!!