Notices

symptoms of Lambda failure

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2008, 06:31 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face symptoms of Lambda failure

as above really, what are the symptoms of Lambda sensor failure?

and the potential long/short term issue that the resulting failure if left unchanged can cause?

i know that one of the issues are increased fuel consumption..(not that you can tell on a scoob!!)
Old 16 July 2008, 07:48 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

When mine failed it suffered from what felt like a really bad misfire when it was cold. The only way I could drive through it was to really ease up on the throttle then gradually apply pressure again. No fault code was displayed at any time so I had it diagnose by a local auto electrician who hooked it up to a diagnostic computer. As you say fuel consumption will be bad, but what's new

I was also told that you can check it by disconnecting the sensor plug and do a reset and see if the problem disappears (assuming you have a problem). It may throw up a warning light but it's worth a try, just connect it back up after the test.
Old 16 July 2008, 07:54 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

thanks for that, the problem that i am having is lazy idle, start her up, and the revs sit low, and the blip once or twice, and then the needle creeps up to 1100 and then settles to 800 850rpms...its bugginh the life out of me, no other problems, changed the Cam and crank sensor, plugs , full service, messed with the ICV, still does the same, next stop MAF, and then Lambda, possibly the other way round..!

such a fecking nightmare trying to fault diagnose what it could be..
Old 16 July 2008, 08:01 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

Ah I see where your going now. Idle problems do point to the MAF as your probably aware. You can start the car up and disconnect the MAF and if it stalls it indicates the MAF is working but may need replacing, if it carries on running then the ECU as taken over the MAF's job and this means the MAF if broken. This is by no means a guarantee but certainly a good indication and it doesn't cost anything to try!

I still had my original MAF fitted when I had a remap, but, it was changed as a precaution as the readings were not as good as they should have been. This indicated it was worn but not broken.
Old 16 July 2008, 08:32 PM
munna
Scooby Regular

Wink

true, i think that the car is still on the original MAF, and it does stall when disconnected, but as said before it could need replacing, right where to get a green label MAF for a MY96 WRX...!

cheers chap