Recurring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2008, 04:52 PM
Cookie12
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recurring Problem

Hi Guys,

I've made a few posts about this before so i'll try and make it brief. Had the car 5 months and since the first week of ownership i've had a recurring CEL for P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire. It's had spark plugs, coil pack, 02 sensor, ECU and even a complete strip down of the engine with the piston and oil rings being replaced. I tried to get them to replace the car before the engine strip down but they said "we've explored all electrical possibilities, the only thing left is the engine". Now 2 days after getting the car back after the engine strip down the CEL is back

I'm going to try and get the car replaced, but i'm just curious to see if anyone has ever seen/heard of anything like this before as the dealership said they haven't?

I'm really pulling my hair out with this, my dream car (within realistic reach) has always been a Scooby and the first one i buy turns out to be a lemon.

P.S - I asked them to replace the Neutral Position Switch but they said no because they've tested it and their nothing wrong with it apparently.
Old 27 June 2008, 10:57 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0301 engine code

Symptoms may include:

* the engine may be harder to start
* the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
* other symptoms may also be present

Causes

A code P0301 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

* Faulty spark plug or wire
* Faulty coil (pack)
* Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
* Faulty fuel injector
* Burned exhaust valve
* Faulty catalytic converter(s)
* Running out of fuel
* Poor compression
* Defective computer

Possible Solutions

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.