What to look out for when buying?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2008, 12:30 PM
tez162003
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile What to look out for when buying?

Hi, first off im new here so be nice! lol

I am going to be looking into buying a scooby, well maybe looking at one tonight, and wanted to ask what are most important things to look out for,

the one im looking into is a

Jap Import - 1995 M reg Subaru WRX (i believe its 260ps)

its a little tatty on the outside from what i see, but thats not the things im worried about, i want to know what things to look for mechanically, says 67000miles on the clock, but not 100% sure i believe that as it had the clocks converted for MPH rather than KPH,

any typical signs to look out for?

Any help hugely appreciated?

Thanks
Old 19 June 2008, 03:02 PM
STiFreak
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately I can't help you with your question, but welcome to SN and a free bump to the top for someone who knows more about classics.
Old 19 June 2008, 03:09 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smoke when starting up or on boost.
Any weird electronic gizmos.
imo mechanically quite robust, gearbox can be a weak point especially 3rd gear

Private or trade sale?

Put up some piccies if you can.

Last edited by myblackwrx; 19 June 2008 at 03:11 PM.
Old 19 June 2008, 07:57 PM
scooby-k
Scooby Regular

I think theres a good buying guide on P1 site. I know its not a P1 but should still give you some ideas as what to look for.
P1 Web Owners Club :: Warning, may contain nuts!
Old 20 June 2008, 10:03 AM
BlooSooby
Scooby Regular

Hello mate, and welcome!

Look for regular servicing - someone who doesn't mind their car looking tatty probably won't be too fussed about servicing either. Check the oil level and colour, if the oil is filthy pitch black, walk away.

On tickover the engine should pulse nicely but if it feels like it's rocking in the engine bay you might have low compression on one cylinder. Putting the air-con/fans on when ticking over will exacerbate the rocking.

Check for smoke on start-up and also when accelerating hard, look up the tailpipe to see how much carbon has built up there.

The transmission will whine nicely under acceleration/deceleration but if you can hear grinding/rattling whilst decelerating you've probably got some bearings that need replacing. The best way to test them is to accelerate hard in say, 2nd, 3rd or 4th and then come right off the throttle and let the car slow down on the transmission. If the bearings are shot you'll hear the same noise in every gear.

Check for vibration coming through the brake pedal and/or steering wheel, this could indicate a warped disc. If a disc is warped this will only be apparent when braking, otherwise the wheel is imbalanced and possibly buckled (have a good look around the inside and outside of the rim to check for dings)

Other than that just don't be too hasty, there are loads of good well looked after cars out there, buying from an enthusiast is the best bet for a good car.

Good luck and happy Scoobying!