who can recommend a nice loud dump valve for my car, wrx bugeye
at an affordable price
vids/sounds will be cool
wiley
Old 16 June 2008, 11:43 PM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll let you know in a couple of days - I've got one in the post...
Old 16 June 2008, 11:52 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

ive always thought the hks ssqv was the loudest, but only heard em on claswsic tho, ill look on youtube......watch the space, lol
Old 17 June 2008, 12:00 AM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

crap sound and not sure which car blue or white has it on, but the louder of the two dump valves u can hear is the hks im sure of it.....

YouTube - 2 subaru impreza

or theres this video which has the same dump valve on a classic:

YouTube - Impreza WRX Blitz Exhaust & HKS BOV Pt.1

baileys are pretty good make, when i first got my car before i fitted a dump valve, my mate put his baileys dump valve off his evo onto mine, bloody loud!!! i have a forge on my classic atm and its quite loud. baileys or hks definitely louder i think though
Old 17 June 2008, 12:03 AM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

I've got a forge bov on my 96 classic and that makes peeps jump as I go past them, hehehe
Old 17 June 2008, 12:06 AM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

lol good aint they. if i see a boy racer in a pug 106 or proper chavved up silly motors (rover 200's/saxo/corsa) coming towards me while im driving and i see they have their window down, then i purposly rev and let the TSHHHHH fill their car through the window just as they pass my engine bay, rather funny in the rear view mirror straight after and u see the brake lights come on as the driver and passenger are holding their ears and groaning, lol. dogs react funnily to it too ive found
Old 17 June 2008, 12:09 AM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

little kids are the best tho, proper ***t themselves. summers coming and the weathers getting hotter...i can see a few ice creams being dropped and tears....hahaha lol
Old 17 June 2008, 12:27 AM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

Hahaha, I've done all those things, it's great watching them panic, although I feel quite evil when I accidentally hit it as I'm passing old folk cause the way they react it's like electrocuting a chicken the way they flap about!!! I can't comment on other dump valves but I can say the forge is a lot louder than my friends bailey on his bugeye
Old 17 June 2008, 09:53 AM
simon4tina
Scooby Newbie

my bailey ones loud cost me 180 fitted on a 53 plate sti
Old 17 June 2008, 11:40 AM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

looks like i'll be gettin the hks bov, these are like £250 new... bit expensive but hey.
gonna order one and take it 2 the next essex meet, hopefully somebody can give me a hand fitting it.
or is it quite simple??
wiley
Old 17 June 2008, 11:47 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Easy to do mate, makes more sense when you have it in your hand and you can see whats what, i fitted mine and im a total ming mong with things like this.
Old 17 June 2008, 12:11 PM
mouseb
Scooby Regular

just make sure when you do it on your own that you have a bung for the old pipe !
Old 17 June 2008, 12:54 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

ROFL @ this thread you cruel barstads, scaring the living crap out of kids and OAPS by dumping on them lol
Old 17 June 2008, 01:46 PM
reiddo
Scooby Regular

I have a newbie question. Other than scaring the crap out of people and making boyracers jealous... do dump valves actually do anything?... doesn't the standard BOV do the same thing?... what are the differences other than the sound?

Cheers,

Doug
Old 17 June 2008, 01:55 PM
luckham
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by reiddo
I have a newbie question. Other than scaring the crap out of people and making boyracers jealous... do dump valves actually do anything?... doesn't the standard BOV do the same thing?... what are the differences other than the sound?

Cheers,

Doug
Other than making a stupid noise they don't do a dammed thing over he standard recirc valve.

Although saying that they can cause reliability issues due to leakage and also they can confuse the management system leading to possible overfuelling due to the fact that the ECU no longer knows exactly how much air is in the system.

So if your a spack then go and buy one, otherwise save your money.
Old 17 June 2008, 02:00 PM
reiddo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by luckham
Other than making a stupid noise they don't do a dammed thing over he standard recirc valve.

Although saying that they can cause reliability issues due to leakage and also they can confuse the management system leading to possible overfuelling due to the fact that the ECU no longer knows exactly how much air is in the system.

So if your a spack then go and buy one, otherwise save your money.
The thing is I have heard that before about dump valves doing no good but my bugeye came with a bailey dump valve on it and i'm wondering whether it would be worth taking it off and putting the standard one back on
Old 17 June 2008, 02:27 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

It all comes down to personal taste! Some Scoobynetters despise them, others love them! I guess I hedged my bets as I went for a WRX Hybrid which re-circulates and vents to atmosphere!
Either way, you've opened one hell of a can of worms on this one
Old 17 June 2008, 02:34 PM
luckham
Scooby Regular

The thing is I have heard that before about dump valves doing no good but my bugeye came with a bailey dump valve on it and i'm wondering whether it would be worth taking it off and putting the standard one back on
Which is exactly what I did when I bought mine. Take the dammed thing off.
Old 17 June 2008, 02:45 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you look at most threads regarding dump valves on scoobs, it's fairly clear that:
a) The standard recirc valve is perfectly capable of handling the power on the car,
b) VTA items can bugger the engine management system if you're unlucky
c) VTA items are generally only recommended by tuners if you're running big power, in which case you've generally put something else in place of the original MAF etc. and gone for an aftermarket wing mounted air intake.

The only one I've seen recommended for normal cars under 300-350bhp is the Forge recirc valve, which is louder than the standard OEM item but still dumps the air back into the system rather than to atmosphere.

Ultimately it's up to you. A few people I know have had em, including the HKS and bailey ones, and removed them when they had engine stuttering or warning lights come on which discouraged me from buying one.
Old 17 June 2008, 03:10 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

i couldnt comment on what it will do to a bugeye, as i only have a classic. was easy to fit on the classic, agree with the guy up there who says once its in ur hands its easier to understand, blanking plug....lol i had mine delivered later than the dump valve (stupid shop) so i cut off the handle of an old screwdriver and shoved it in there lol. all sweet now
Old 17 June 2008, 03:35 PM
reiddo
Scooby Regular

personally i don't think mines i causing any power loss as a dyno showed the car was running the correct bhp output and power curve. I do notice sometimes on the motorway when i'm holding the power at a certain point a constant low pitched hiss which doesn't stop till i either apply more power or lift off. It sounds cool but could that be doing any damage?

All advice appreciated
Old 17 June 2008, 03:36 PM
luckham
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash002004
all sweet now
Apart from that stupid woosh sound eh?

All advice appreciated
Throw it in the bin..

Last edited by luckham; 17 June 2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 17 June 2008, 04:42 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

If you want loud then gor for either the Turbosmart Supersonic or the Turbosmart Megasonic. I got the Supersonic on mine and you can hear that coming up the road Scares the grannies to
Old 17 June 2008, 07:30 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

wanted to go for the turbosmart megasonic, but not yet available for newage. i'll be gettin the hks which is 2nd in line for the loudest.
hopefully it doesnt f*** up my car like some of you say
wiley
Old 17 June 2008, 07:55 PM
bigdyl69
Scooby Regular

I don't know of anyone who's had a dump valve knacker anything up on their car. I'd just stay away from the cheap and nasty fleabay ones, stick to something tried and tested like the ones everyone's mentioned on here
Old 18 June 2008, 12:03 AM
Davie-300
Scooby Newbie

Default DUMP VALVE

I have a WRX300 (2005) and fitted a Baileys DV12 dump valve - within a week the CEL light came on on the dashboard. Phoned Baileys but they say they have sold literally thousands of them and have had no problem with lights coming on on the dash. I've taken it off now but not sure whether to try fitting it again. Thought it was a coincidence but after reading the above threads - I'm not so sure!! Checked with mechanics from 2 Subaru dealers and they both said to stay clear of adding these dump valves as they can cause problems. I've noticed that it seems to be classic models spoken about above - just wondered if anyone new anything about the newer models - since 2000. Like the noise but don't want to knacker the car!!!
Old 18 June 2008, 12:45 PM
wootty
Scooby Regular

fitted a collins twin piston to my 95 wrx classic and gave the engine rough idling and not so smooth running.ecu didnt like it so bunged the oem back on.
whats the best atmo for a preface classic.
Old 18 June 2008, 01:56 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Davie-300
I have a WRX300 (2005) and fitted a Baileys DV12 dump valve - within a week the CEL light came on on the dashboard. Phoned Baileys but they say they have sold literally thousands of them and have had no problem with lights coming on on the dash. I've taken it off now but not sure whether to try fitting it again. Thought it was a coincidence but after reading the above threads - I'm not so sure!! Checked with mechanics from 2 Subaru dealers and they both said to stay clear of adding these dump valves as they can cause problems. I've noticed that it seems to be classic models spoken about above - just wondered if anyone new anything about the newer models - since 2000. Like the noise but don't want to knacker the car!!!
I don't think you're alone mate - a few posts like this mention new age owners having this problem.
Did the CEL light go off after you removed it, and did it come on again after?

Ultimately, the only thing you're gaining is a big wthooshing sound (if that's an accurate description ); I don't believe it has much more of a beneficial effect. I've heard the Forge recirc valve is slightly better than the OEM item but not to the point that you'd notice a huge benefit after fitting one.
Old 20 June 2008, 10:41 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

was gonna get a hks bov from ebay
the seller said it's missing a blanking plug....
is this a big problem???
wiley
Old 21 June 2008, 01:37 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

wats a blanking plug??
wiley

Quick Reply: dump valve!!