Notices

Cheap exhaust on ebay...will it be suffice?

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2008, 03:48 AM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap exhaust on ebay...will it be suffice?

Hi everyone. I have got a MY95 WRX and have a tight budget in the way of an exhaust system. Alot of the main exhausts being used on here are 2.5" bore but i have been looking at some rather cheap 3" bore exhausts on ebay.

Now i can understand that you get what you pay for and the noise may be cheap and chavvy but in the case of just simply getting a full decat at a low budget kind of price would these exhaust systems give any form of power gains if i was simply after the cheapest method of decat'ing my car?

This is an example of what i was looking at:

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STi RA EXHAUST SYSTEM DECAT DOWNPIPE on eBay, also Exhaust Components, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 23-Apr-08 20:59:38 BST)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sami
Old 22 April 2008, 10:31 AM
slimnotshady
Scooby Regular

Sami,

Very unwise to fit a full decat system to your car- if it's loud and you get pulled and tested, you might find your budget increasing to include a new car as well when they crush yours!!

The downpipe is apparantly the biggest restriction, so a good place to start- I just fitted a Scoobyworld Ninja sports cat at the weekend, £299 plus £16.45 for the gasket and £18 or so for heatwrap and stainless ties. Then go for a backbox...

Slim
Old 22 April 2008, 10:51 AM
scooby Iain
Scooby Regular

I got one of the cheep systems from eblag as i was on a tight budget too and TBH its not all that bad for what you pay, I mean it needed a bit of hammer rash on the downpipe clamp and a tap on the rear hangers but other than that its ok. Noise wise its a bit loud with out the bung in the rear box so i've left that in and performance wise it has made a big differance but i think any de-cat would do the same .
But as said above you do run the risk of having a coffee table with an impreza badge if the police decide to have a look
Old 22 April 2008, 04:02 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

So im better off getting a decat downpipe and have a cat back system from the centre section back?
Old 22 April 2008, 04:26 PM
scooby Iain
Scooby Regular

all depends really, best option is a sports cat down pipe, de-cap centre section and decent back box i think. (someone tell me to shut up if im wrong). But as you say all this lot adds up cost wise.
but if you dont want to spend the 300 nicker on the e-bay one you could always wait on a bit and buy mine which is the self same one in the link you posted as im now gona get a sports cat down pipe and spend some real money on a system
Old 22 April 2008, 05:26 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

Will it be just the downpipe you are selling?
Old 22 April 2008, 05:51 PM
scooby Iain
Scooby Regular

YHPM
Old 22 April 2008, 06:13 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a full stainless magnex 3" system - including downpipe, centre section and backbox. Its a full decat system. I bought it second hand last year for £150 and have not used it, its in good condition, a few slight dings here and there as you'd expect from a used exhaust but overall in very decent nick.
I was going to advertise it on here and ebay when I had the time to take some photo's but if your interested send me a pm. The previous owner told me it was not overly loud at all.
Old 22 April 2008, 08:26 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

YHPM borat and scooby Iain
Old 22 April 2008, 09:24 PM
sti.dean
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slimnotshady
Sami,

Very unwise to fit a full decat system to your car- if it's loud and you get pulled and tested, you might find your budget increasing to include a new car as well when they crush yours!!

Slim
i thought you only get a fine for haveing no cat?
Old 22 April 2008, 10:32 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sti.dean
If its a pre august 1995 car it does not, according to the law, need a CAT at all.

there is a VOSA web page detailing the emmisions requirements for pre august 1995 imports which has been linked to many times from threads on here :
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repo...01992-2002.pdf

If your car is pre august 1995 and an import it will not need a CAT to pass the emisions test regardless of what your MOT station says, or anyone else. Print off the VOSA page and take it to the MOT station, they should then see the light. If they still argue ask to see the exact match in the analyser database, at which point they will either point out a UK impreza (which is wrong) or not be able to find them. The point here is that it must be an exact match and there is no entry for an impreza WRX or impreza sti. I did not know about this so bought myself a sports cat which was a needless expense. Had I known then what I do now it would have been a decat all the way.
Old 23 April 2008, 07:35 AM
scooby Iain
Scooby Regular

I didn't know that, cheers borat u might have just saved me a fortune
Old 23 April 2008, 09:59 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ver.4
Hi everyone. I have got a MY95 WRX and have a tight budget in the way of an exhaust system. Alot of the main exhausts being used on here are 2.5" bore but i have been looking at some rather cheap 3" bore exhausts on ebay.

Now i can understand that you get what you pay for and the noise may be cheap and chavvy but in the case of just simply getting a full decat at a low budget kind of price would these exhaust systems give any form of power gains if i was simply after the cheapest method of decat'ing my car?

This is an example of what i was looking at:

SUBARU IMPREZA WRX STi RA EXHAUST SYSTEM DECAT DOWNPIPE on eBay, also Exhaust Components, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 23-Apr-08 20:59:38 BST)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sami

Got one on my MY93, no problems and not too loud as its got the silencer in the mid pipe, i run without the bung
Old 23 April 2008, 10:34 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by sti.dean
Surely they don't crush the car, right? I can see my PPP downpipe coming off sale
Old 23 April 2008, 11:19 AM
scooby Iain
Scooby Regular

I've not heard of anyones car getting crushed due to something like that, but i suppose that if the cars running a de-cat but is required to have a cat then they could take it away as they would probably say aint road legal. so then you'd be stuck with a fine? and storage charges?
Dont quote me on that as i might be totally wrong
Old 23 April 2008, 02:59 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby Iain
I've not heard of anyones car getting crushed due to something like that, but i suppose that if the cars running a de-cat but is required to have a cat then they could take it away as they would probably say aint road legal. so then you'd be stuck with a fine? and storage charges?
Dont quote me on that as i might be totally wrong
The problems you will get is, if the car is registered after August 1995 and you decat it then you will fail the MOT .
If the exhaust is very loud (decatted or not) plod will have you for Anti-social or something along those lines, they will usually issue a fixed penalty and/or a 7 day rectification notice
Old 23 April 2008, 03:21 PM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by borat52
I have a full stainless magnex 3" system - including downpipe, centre section and backbox. Its a full decat system. I bought it second hand last year for £150 and have not used it, its in good condition, a few slight dings here and there as you'd expect from a used exhaust but overall in very decent nick.
I was going to advertise it on here and ebay when I had the time to take some photo's but if your interested send me a pm. The previous owner told me it was not overly loud at all.
pm sent to borat, il take that if not stepping on any toes??
Old 23 April 2008, 05:17 PM
Ver.4
Scooby Regular

Was hoping for 1st dibs on that exhaust. Still waiting for a reply from borat

Last edited by Ver.4; 23 April 2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 23 April 2008, 10:36 PM
sarnyboy
Scooby Regular

no worries ^ as i said abave mate
Old 24 April 2008, 09:34 PM