Notices

alternator help

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2008, 05:03 PM
astro2k
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator help

I have had my 94/95 wrx 4 weeks now,driving her back for work an on short runs shes been fine.
Drove her to work last night it never missed a beat, i got in this morning started her ( went 1st turn of the key ) i put the rear heated screen on , heater on full to let her warm up an clear ice off both windows, got out light a *** an just let her tick over.
After my *** an a quick chat with one of my work mates i got in to drive home the 1st thing i noiticed was i had no rev counter petrol gauge showed nill petrol an the temp gauge had not moved
I new somthing was wrong 5 miles down the road tesco petrol station for a closer look pulled in turned her off ( bad move ) after checking under the hood for any missing belts loose wires ect... do u think could start it no way
45 mins later RAC man apears bungs on jump leads i turns the key up she fires out with his meter " you got no charge from ur alternator pal "

so can anybody tell me is the common ?, what is the charge voltage from the alternator ? could it be a fuse ? or somthing stupid ?

i cant see any wires cut or missing from the alternator, i never had any batt warning light on its as if my alternator as just packed in !!!! with no warning !!

Never had this before with past cars any one got any idears
cheers alex
Old 18 April 2008, 01:13 PM
astro2k
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorted !

Stripped the clocks out yesterday as i had a set of clocks in MPH in the boot as the one's fitted were KPH.
To my horror some one had done a very bad track repair,on the back of the clocks the wire they used had shorted, i was very lucky it never went up in smoke
After i changed the clocks my rev counter, temp, petrol gauge all started working once more
Tested the charge rate with lights,heaters on still had 13.87v happy days