Dump valve delete mod??

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2008, 04:20 PM
Smoove mike
Scooby Regular

Location: Ready to blow you away with my secondary air system
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dump valve delete mod??

Is there any benifits of this mod i know you get the induction blow back sound and prob shortens the live of turbo but does it do any thing for performance??
Old 10 April 2008, 04:40 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

No performance gains. If anything you will lose a little bit of performance as your stalling/slowing the spool down between gear changes.
Old 10 April 2008, 05:16 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found it beneficial on my 95 STI running TD05. Acceleration from gear change is much improved. If you are running an uprated STi panel filter rather than induction or front mount the noise is minimal.

On yours and mine MY06/7 STi Mike I don't know how much improvement you would see as the torque is already pulling like a train. Also I understand this mod is better suited to the TD type turbos, but I couldn't articulate the technical reasons why
Old 10 April 2008, 07:56 PM
Shmerman
Scooby Regular

Reason is the TD series can take more punishment than the VF series. The back pressure does stress the turbine wheel and is nore likely to result in failure in a vf series turbo.

I dont really understand this statement
On yours and mine MY06/7 STi Mike I don't know how much improvement you would see as the torque is already pulling like a train.
Does this mean you think that you are gaining torque by not running a dump valve?
Is it possible it could be a placebo effect? Sounds faster so it feels faster?
Old 10 April 2008, 09:14 PM
andykaz23
Scooby Regular

I use to run like this on my 200sx, ran crap with it when compared to the std recirc. Same went for a vent to atmosphere system.

Made a cool noise mind....
Old 11 April 2008, 12:55 AM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmerman
Reason is the TD series can take more punishment than the VF series. The back pressure does stress the turbine wheel and is nore likely to result in failure in a vf series turbo.

I dont really understand this statement

Does this mean you think that you are gaining torque by not running a dump valve?
Is it possible it could be a placebo effect? Sounds faster so it feels faster?
No the benefit is better acceleration on gear change not torque. On the 2.5 the torque is such that you already have ample welly on gear change so why bother. As for sound it isn't noticable on a panel filter or indeed over the 3" full decat
Old 11 April 2008, 02:00 AM
New_scooby_04

To correct a common SN myth: it is not true that all VF turbos are not amenable to running without a DV; with the older ones, it's not a good idea, but the more recent ones will tolerate it.

Also, if anything it improves the pick up after gear changes as, presumably, the boost pressure is not being dumped! I was advised to loose mine when I went to an FMIC to negate the slight delay in boost response that can occur between gear changes with this set up and I've not noticed any difference in the above respect compared to the TMIC.

Ns04