OBX Headers - up-pipe questions

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2008, 08:39 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OBX Headers - up-pipe questions

My stainless steel OBX headers have now developed a leak from the flexi steel bit of the up-pipe, by where the up-pipe joins the main header pipework.

Where can I get a replacement OBX up-pipe from?

Can I fit some other make of up-pipe to fit the OBX headers ? ( 2 bolt flange of some sort I think to main headers, std to TD05-20G turbo) ? Who from?

What is the diameter of the OBX up-pipe, I am told it is quite big ( need it for approx the 400 bhp ) so don't want a smaller one if impeeds gas flow

How easy it is to drop the up-pipe and refit new up-pipe upwards onto turbo, with out removing turbo?

All help welcome!

Thanks

V
Old 09 April 2008, 12:44 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

BTT
Old 09 April 2008, 12:47 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What year of car is it?
I have got a Hayward and Scott up-pipe for sale, never been used, and is slipped jointed.
I think you will have to remove the down pipe first, as one of the nuts is not accessible, the turbo does not have to come off.
This is on a MY99, sometimes you will have to remove the engine mount bolt and jack that side of the engine, to gain clearance to remove the up-pipe.
Old 09 April 2008, 03:05 PM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i did mine neil i found it easier to remove down pipe then to un bolt up pipe from headers then dissconct turbo oil feeds ect and lift the turbo out up wards with the up pipe still attached and then un bolt up pipe from turbo on a bench the nuts and studs used usaually are badly corroded and will need replacing easier to on a bench with room to use a hacksaw , you could try the nuts first with the turbo still bolted onto up pipe on car mine just rounded off .Have fun .

Mark
Old 15 April 2008, 07:23 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers Mark, how are you doing? We were for sale now we're not, I'd guess Pete W told you all the gossip!

Trying to avoid removing the downpipe / exhaust and just unbolt the 3 bolts on up-pipe to turbo, but not done it for 2 years so forgot! Else turbo off!

Actually can't find an OBX up-pipe, or other with the same fitting ( spring bolts and donut joint like downpipe to centre section ) so probably have to get a (nother) full set of headers. Off to AS Performance for supply, wrap and fit I guess!
Old 15 April 2008, 07:25 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Default Up-pipe ...

Cheers mate, but a flat flange up-pipe won't fit these american (??) headers - not fleabay specials but the proper original ones imported a few years ago - and can't find a supplier, old place seems to have gone!

Seem to have a moveable / adjustable joint with a thick donut seal, like the downpipe to centre pipe on the exhaust. Helps adjustment and easy sealing apparently.

Ta

V

Originally Posted by Eprom
What year of car is it?
I have got a Hayward and Scott up-pipe for sale, never been used, and is slipped jointed.
I think you will have to remove the down pipe first, as one of the nuts is not accessible, the turbo does not have to come off.
This is on a MY99, sometimes you will have to remove the engine mount bolt and jack that side of the engine, to gain clearance to remove the up-pipe.
Old 16 April 2008, 07:54 AM
KLR16V
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have to remove the downpipe as this is blocking the access to other nut and stud holding up-pipe on you can gain access to the three visible ones but not the last remaining one .

Mark