Notices

Help needed Turbo experts!

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2008, 09:30 PM
Redbelly
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help needed Turbo experts!

Hi all i have a turbo from a 2006 2.5 sti type uk(ihi vf 43???maybe??)at work and had to ask the question...would this give more power to a 2006 2.5 wrx,would it be safe for the engine and what other mods are essential to get the best from this turbo on the wrx??
I know it will bolt staight on,but will it work and is it worth doing??

Many thanks chaps
Old 05 April 2008, 11:04 AM
Redbelly
Scooby Newbie

Anyone???
Old 05 April 2008, 01:04 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a VF43 and just adding it without any supporting mods will risk the engine.
The critical mods to support the VF43 would be a larger fuel pump and a remap.
There are loads of other permutations on a bit more output or less (ie keep your std turbo), but they all depend on how much money you want to throw at it.

Nick
Old 06 April 2008, 01:15 PM
Redbelly
Scooby Newbie

Butty thanks for the reply man,i have changed the down pipe and midsection on the car and kept the ppp center cat also have a k&n panel in there,will get the car remapped and add a hi flow pump and pink injectors from GRD,what power should i expect from mods,the car was running at 267HP as standard,
Many thanks
Old 06 April 2008, 01:34 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

For what it's worth most 2.5 STI's make 350+ without any trouble, Dave's car didn't, but apparently came from Subaru with a cracked exhaust housing on the turbo....

HTH

DunxC
Old 07 April 2008, 03:21 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

I'd forget about the pink injectors - your 06 WRX has the same injectors as the 06/07 STi and won't need changing for your spec.
If your mapper is happy to go to 1.3bar then expect IRO 340/350 hp and 370ish lbft.
Full decats could allow creep in cold weather (it did on my 3" system) , so now would be a good time to get the hot side ported before fitting.

nick
Old 07 April 2008, 06:57 PM
Redbelly
Scooby Newbie

nice one nick, had a look at a spec d im doing at work and your right the injectors are the same!! so will i be ok the leave the small ppp cat in place,and just go for the remap and fuel pump, im new to modding so could you explain what you mean by saying get the hot side ported,and what "creep" is?? im guessing that you talking about the exhaust side of the turbo???
Many thanks again,you have made me feel alot more confident about the whole thing,the car is great low in the rev range but runs out of beans top end seems like its at the limit when fully open
Cheers man!
Old 07 April 2008, 09:28 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

If its a PPP WRX you have then there won't be a cat in that canister - its just a baffle.
If you are keeping to a 2.5" system then I wouldn't think that it will be a problem to worry about.
Boost creep is production of excessive boost from the wastegate system not being able to control exhaust gas flow through the turbine.
Boost will "creep" above the mapped targets while solenoid duty will hit 0% as the wastegate is opened a far as possible.
The higher than intended boost may max out your injectors, put head gaskets under pressure or lead to detonation as the charge temp gets excessive.

If you have any further plans for modding after this current stage then enlarging and smoothing (porting) the wastegate hole and the entrance to the cast iron "hot side" is worth doing while the turbo is off the car.
The VF43 already has a larger wastegate over the VF35 from an 01/05 STi, yet there is still some meat to remove from it.
Similarly as with the VF35, the path from main turbine route to wastegate entrance is preety abrupt and can do with smoothing out.

nick