Notices

Installing up pipe and downpipe. wrx my03

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2008, 10:14 AM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing up pipe and downpipe. wrx my03

I'm just after some advice chaps. I have a decent level of skill concerning cars. I guess this question is to the people who have done the above. Will I need new gaskets? I'm assuming I will. Where's the best place to get them from? There's a possiblity worst case that I have to grind one of the studs off. Where's a good supplier for studs, nuts and bolts. Rather have the parts there just in case.

Can anybody put me in the direction of detailed guides with pictures. T hanks
Old 03 April 2008, 10:52 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Same here Will be fitting complete stainless system on my MY93 WRX this weekend weather permiting, so any advise is doubley welcome
Old 03 April 2008, 01:26 PM
jobbie
Scooby Regular

Had 01 wrx bugeye done recently. up and down pipe and turbo, i went to local tools and screws type place with the parts, bought a complete worst case scenario replacements and only ones i used were for the downpipe to centre.
On the flip side - the heatshield was right bugger to get off, i was able to put it back on after so it was done carefully.

Gasket wise go straight to subaru £17 for down pipe and £11 for the others.
If you dont fit new ones and it starts blowing you are going to be mad for the sake £35 as opposed to about 5hrs labour!

Last edited by jobbie; 03 April 2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03 April 2008, 01:38 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I used original gaskets for my downpipe and centre section and it seems fine at the moment at least.
Old 03 April 2008, 02:34 PM
martwrxsl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jobbie
Had 01 wrx bugeye done recently. up and down pipe and turbo, i went to local tools and screws type place with the parts, bought a complete worst case scenario replacements and only ones i used were for the downpipe to centre.
On the flip side - the heatshield was right bugger to get off, i was able to put it back on after so it was done carefully.

Gasket wise go straight to subaru £17 for down pipe and £11 for the others.
If you dont fit new ones and it starts blowing you are going to be mad for the sake £35 as opposed to about 5hrs labour!
I agree about the gaskets. Makes sense while you have the things off. How about dismantling/fitting guides? I was told to take the intercooler off first. Then undo the bolts on the turbo heatshield. Undo the two bolts on the d/p to centre section. Then the five bolts to turbo flange. Is it as simple as that? I believe there's no egt sensor on the d/p of wrx my03?

The up pipe you have to remove 4 bolts on the bottom off the engine bay on a guard. Then remove the up pipe 2 bolts on each flange and the egt sensor. Is this correct?
Old 06 April 2008, 12:53 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Got it fitted yesterday No real problems just the bottom 2 studs on the downpipe/turbo a little fiddly but car was on drive up ramps on the floor so didnt have loads of room The thing i noticed is that the dowmpipe i removed was decatted and the mouth was split, exhaust 1 side, wastegate the other, the pipe i fitted is just 1 big mouth (super bell) Whats the difference between the 2 performance wise??