Notices

Split Hose Please help

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2008, 06:38 PM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Split Hose Please help

I have an STI hawkeye. Recently had a full de-cat and a re-map, wont mention any names at this stage as to who by.

Ive had the car back around a week now, and ive noticed day by day, that my turbo was getting louder, like an air escaping noise. Not only that but my fuel consumption is down to around 12 mpg.

Then today the noise has got really loud, and car is not pulling very well.

Checked under the bonnet and it looks as though the jubilee clip has come off from the thick red pipe running from the Turbo to the intercooler.

My question is, could this be due to the higher turbo pressure or something due to the re-map? Or more likley is it due to the mechanics not putting it back on correctly after fitting the de-cat?

Also if its due to higher pressure, is there a better pipe thats stronger on the market.

Thanks in advance
Old 02 March 2008, 07:37 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, so has the pipe come off aswell?? if it has, it will mean that the engine is recieving unmetered air, which is NOT good..... if just the clip has come off, then it should be a simple job to reposition it and do it up tighter...... the intercooler normally needs removing in order to fit the decat downpipe, hence presumably why the problem.....

If the people that did the work are local to you, it might be best if they came to you!!
Old 02 March 2008, 07:46 PM
RafaelChandler
Scooby Regular

The pipe is still on just, well it looks to be anyway. But I can hear a lot of boost escaping when I drive the car above 3k revs.

Ive lost a lot of faith in the people that did the work to be honest as its just problem after problem with them, and there a good hour away.

Do you think i could do with a stronger hose?
Old 02 March 2008, 08:27 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RafaelChandler
The pipe is still on just, well it looks to be anyway. But I can hear a lot of boost escaping when I drive the car above 3k revs.

Ive lost a lot of faith in the people that did the work to be honest as its just problem after problem with them, and there a good hour away.

Do you think i could do with a stronger hose?
they have probably over tightened the clip and fecked it up or just forgot to tighten,i doubt you will need a new hose unless it is split.

try securing it with a new clip first and see how you get on
Old 02 March 2008, 08:33 PM
scoobyDAZZA
Scooby Regular

try a stronger clip
mikalor or murray
Old 02 March 2008, 09:32 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you remove the intercooler, then it's worth cleaning both the inside of the pipe, and the turbo outlet with something like brake cleaner, i have heard odd stories about spraying somr 'hair spray' onto the hose and outlet, then slide the hose on, this apparently helps not only seal, but it grips the hose on aswell...... well, that and a better clip!!