Notices

Ecu upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2008, 09:23 PM
bullyboy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecu upgrade

Will fitting one of these make my engine go pop as it says it derestricts it to 175mph...
SUBARU IMPREZA - ECU UPGRADE (1992-1996 WRX/STi & UK) on eBay, also Chips, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 26-Feb-08 21:10:21 GMT)
Old 25 February 2008, 09:49 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

No but actually doing 175 mph probably will !

Sorry !
Old 25 February 2008, 09:55 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats a load of cack to be honest...the car isnt geared to do 175. Probs more like 155 if you're lucky. e.g the car could have 500bhp but all it'll do with a standard gearbox is bounce off the rev limiter in top gear at 150 ish.

Alan
Old 25 February 2008, 10:14 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of people have used his chip (do a search on here).

what it actually says is that the speed limiter has been RAISED to 175 mph not that the car will DO 175mph.

PolarPerformance is the website
Old 26 February 2008, 10:50 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

scott is on here and he knows i don't agree with plug and drive maps.
Old 26 February 2008, 12:31 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

I have a polar performance chip and it works fine.. I didn't want to do big mod's and just wanted some extra power, which is waht this chip has done.

Yes it raises the limiter from 112mph on my car to 175mph... not that my car will get near that speed.. or above 112mph for that matter.. but its nice to know if i get someone trying to kill me i can now get away from them

Had the chip fitter maybe 8 months and not missed a beat!
Old 26 February 2008, 04:36 PM
bullyboy
Scooby Newbie

I realised it wouldnt actually make my car do 175 but was just wondering if it would destroy itself after 112 as thats obviously what the car/engine/gearbox is good for.
Old 26 February 2008, 06:12 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bullyboy
I realised it wouldnt actually make my car do 175 but was just wondering if it would destroy itself after 112 as thats obviously what the car/engine/gearbox is good for.
My 93 wrx does upto 140mph but it's prolonged high speed that they aren't keen on (the tmic isn't particularly good) but it all depends on the health of the engine (regular servicing,correct fuelling etc)
Old 26 February 2008, 07:26 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

the 112 speed limit is there as the japs impose it the car and engine,gearbox is well capable of over 112 miles per hour, but as said i believe they aren't to keen sitting at high speeds for along time
Old 26 February 2008, 10:53 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

If your gonna go down this path you will have to be fairly cool with the soldering iron, some boards have the DIL fitted some dont, mine didnt, if in doubt use the fitting service, not really difficult its just a job you need to know you can do right the 1st time
Old 27 February 2008, 08:58 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
If your gonna go down this path you will have to be fairly cool with the soldering iron, some boards have the DIL fitted some dont, mine didnt, if in doubt use the fitting service, not really difficult its just a job you need to know you can do right the 1st time
Agree.. If you haven't done any soldering before this is not the best place to start as you could screw up your ecu Although you could buy a cheap ecu of e-bay and chip that one keeping your original ummm original Thats what I did.. after the job was done And I was happy with it I flogged my spare ECU so no money lost!
Old 27 February 2008, 01:29 PM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

Does Tidgy have to come on every one of these posts and air his view.
i am glad to say though that his view is in the minority.

500+ sales and only 1 return in over 6 years speaks greater volume IMHO.
The 1 return was from a customer who couldn't afford to repair/replace his faulty coil packs

I do offer bespoke mapping and those with appropriate funds opt for this.
You pays ya money and takes ya choice.
It's much better value then some other so called tuning options.
Old 28 February 2008, 09:20 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Does Tidgy have to come on every one of these posts and air his view.
i am glad to say though that his view is in the minority.

500+ sales and only 1 return in over 6 years speaks greater volume IMHO.
The 1 return was from a customer who couldn't afford to repair/replace his faulty coil packs

I do offer bespoke mapping and those with appropriate funds opt for this.
You pays ya money and takes ya choice.
It's much better value then some other so called tuning options.
if i see one i'll post my opinion. but as you say you pays your money you takes your choice.

i've not seen any of the major tuners using them? so its not just my opinion
Old 28 February 2008, 09:21 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

as you say tidge, the bigger tuners in the market place use mapping rather than a "chip"
Old 28 February 2008, 10:18 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jd5217
as you say tidge, the bigger tuners in the market place use mapping rather than a "chip"
i suppose the Japanese tuners who use chips don't know what they are doing then?
It's a fair point but these offer a solution that doesn't invovle spending a lot of money and if set up correctly then i don't see the problem.

as for Tidgy if you point out to the OP why you don't agree with them it will give him some more info to go and help him makke a choice.

Last edited by myblackwrx; 28 February 2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 28 February 2008, 11:19 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx

as for Tidgy if you point out to the OP why you don't agree with them it will give him some more info to go and help him makke a choice.
fair point mate, shall explain.

the basic map on an impreza, or any car, is designed and created to work within a specific manufacturing tollerance, and then a safety margin is added.

due to this its never tailoured to each individual car, and you get a base line performance.

when a car is mapped, the inputs and out puts are taken into acount and the map tolerances are reduced to the specific car, aka the high and low points that are allowed in the map are reduced and tailoured to the specific car.

the basis of a predone aftermarket map, is it reduces that tollerance, however, what happens if a part in your engine is out side that mapped tollerance?

best case it makes no difference, worst case you need an engine build due to something not being right.

this can be highlighted by a case i've had direct involvement with,

my car is my00 uk turbo, i'm running autronics ecu now as i have upgraded the turbo, front mount intercooler, induction kit and other bits and bobs.

it was previously mapped using ecutek, with full decat and pannel filter.

i like me pops and bangs so was mapped on the richer side.

upon my ecu replacement my old ecu was sold on by me to mate, to allow him to use the open license, and possibly the map.

his car is a my00 uk turbo, is modd'd with a pannel filter and full decat, making it more or less identicle.

as said my map ran rich on mine, the ecu was placed on his car at the start of a RR day to allow it to run to have the map checked.

his car was loaded onto the dyno, strapped down and the run began, the run was halfway through when the operator dumpt he thtrottle and terminated the run.

It was running way to lean. yep its rich on my car but lean on his on an identicle car.

so the map was incompatable.

also another scooby owner i know has had one fitted to his car, and is now having to have it mapped due to emisions problems (although i'm unsure if its due to the exhaust system, he's running sports cats iirc, or the map itself)

all in all, after throwning maps into different cars and seing differeing values, and in the main case dangerous values, i would never have a generic map placed on my car.

you may save £300 to start with, but if it don't work then you are face with £2k for a rebuild.

i believe this is also the reason y tuning companies don't use them.
Old 28 February 2008, 11:23 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

sdhould emphasise, this is all my opinion
Old 28 February 2008, 06:21 PM
fireblade37
Scooby Regular

[quote=Tidgy;7692912

my car is my00 uk turbo, i'm running autronics ecu now as i have upgraded the turbo, front mount intercooler, induction kit and other bits and bobs.

Tidgy, i thought you changed from frontmount to topmount as you didn't like the lag and throttle response etc etc.
Old 28 February 2008, 10:28 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Obviously got myself, seems to be fine, lifted the boost for one, had it running on 97 with no apperant problems, recently changed plugs all a good colour so cant be much wrong with the fuel/air!
Tidge, not being funny fella, but prehaps youve got the freek car and the rest of us have clones
Old 28 February 2008, 10:54 PM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Hmm mine being an import it was previously mapped for 100ron, so always risky running it on the best fuel i could find (optimax tesco 99 whatever) at leats with the chip its mapped down to 97ron so can use most garages sul when the better stuff is unavailable.

Living and driving through the valleys of wales does mean you loose the availablity.. So for me the chip up'd performance, removed limiter, and allows me to use more redily available fuel when travleing about!

If I had the money to spare i would go down the full map route (and probably with scott tbh) but the scooby is supposed to be my sensible every day car so going to keep it failry standard / reliable
Old 29 February 2008, 12:24 AM
cmed
Scooby Regular

you chip vectras and mondeos not imprezas yes they might work but there a quick fix how can they be better than some wise mods and a ecu remap to suit the individual car and parts
Old 29 February 2008, 07:31 AM
scoobyhoobydoo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cmed
you chip vectras and mondeos not imprezas yes they might work but there a quick fix how can they be better than some wise mods and a ecu remap to suit the individual car and parts
So your saying that based on your “research” generic maps do not work? From what I seen Prodrive and Subaru UK have remaped several thousand cars using a generic remap as part of “prodrive performance pack”.

It fair to say that when you increase the output of an engine the wear and stress on the engine increases, however more depends on your car working correctly i.e. sensors, fueling etc etc. If for example I have a “custom” remap there is still a chance that any component could fail afterwards months or years later and cause an issue with the engine, this despite at the time of the remap everything working correctly.

Last edited by scoobyhoobydoo; 29 February 2008 at 07:33 AM.
Old 29 February 2008, 08:57 AM
satancom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cmed
I don't think anyone is saying a chip is 'better' than a live remap... Just remember there are different types of chips out there as well.

You can get a chip for under £100 on ebay, but they are just one map thats sold for all imprezas.. Put one of those chips on my car and it will explode (as in its probably a td05 map and I run a td04).

The chip the OP posted will be mapped for your specific model so is a lot safer than some of the ebay specials and also safer than fitting a fuel cut defender and wacking up the boost.

No chip is going to be as good as a full remap, but then again get a good one, and its a very easy mod you can do yourself and gives excellent gains for the money.
Old 29 February 2008, 09:01 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fireblade
Tidgy, i thought you changed from frontmount to topmount as you didn't like the lag and throttle response etc etc.

no mate, i changed from a top mount to a front mount. no issues with lag at all .

but thats a whole other subject lol
Old 29 February 2008, 09:02 PM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

Tidgy, You are welcome to your opinion. But what you refer to and have experience of is based on an MY99/00 ECU and what was probably a TEK2 ECUTEK remap. It is different hardware, and more advanced technology. And for reasons unknown the ECU from your mates car did not like your car.

However, Power Engineering, when ECUTEK was first formed in partnership, used to offer and may still offer what was called a TEK 1 and TEK 2 MY99/00 Postal remap. The TEK 1 was the standard map from an Ae800 ECU flashed into the later Ae802 ECU. The TEK2 was boost raised to approx 1.1/1.2bar with expected BHP of 270-280BHP (with any number of decats or filter combinations)

If you ordered that it was Generic.

If you arrived at the door they would fit and run it on the rollers (at extra cost) to verify and make 'minor' modification where they could get a little more power out of it.

The large 'Good' tuners don't Chip as they cannot afford the time to faff about with the old technology. They prefer to sit with a laptop and Flash direct to the more modern ECU.

'Bad' tuners use Fuel-Cut defender and bleed valves and make no changes to fuel & timing...and there are quite a few of these about

Power Engineering and Zen used to do these Chip.Adaptor upgrades, but both pulled out of the market due to newer technology allowing them to map quicker.

I can't comment on any of the other Impreza chips on Ebay, but I do know that I have sold 500+, have refined the maps over 6 years and have never had any issues with the map.
If there are any issues when fitted, it only rasies issues that the car had prior to fitting (the map don't fix whats broke, just highlights it).

P.S Every enquiry I get (and I get quite a few) I offer the chip and/or the ESL Live mapping service. Explaining the pro's and cons of each.
95% of the people go for the chip and 100% of them are happy.
Some of them come back at a later date once they get bored with 1.1bar for the Live mapping.

Last edited by Scott.T@PolarPerformance; 29 February 2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 29 February 2008, 10:08 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some interesting reading.

I personally don't like the idea of "generic" chips. The Live-Map option that now exists, looks a very good, cost effective option though.

Micky
Old 01 March 2008, 08:14 AM
Scott.T@PolarPerformance
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
Some interesting reading.

I personally don't like the idea of "generic" chips. The Live-Map option that now exists, looks a very good, cost effective option though.

Micky
Live Map is great and the S/W reflashes on the fly so you can do very fine tuning, so better then ECUTEK/OpenSource for the newer cars where you have to stop and start the car between flashes.

When I live map I know the car is running optimum timing and the best fuelling for performance and safety.

But the chip is there to serve those that want better performance on a budget so is mapped safer for it.