Notices

Laying up car

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2008, 04:35 PM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laying up car

I have a 97 car with 137K and still going very well thank you but I have a new job and I'm going to be out of the country for a while.

Problem is I don't know if it's going to be 5 months or 3 years plus !!

Being that it's an old car now with plenty of miles on I doubt it's going to be worth selling. It's modified too (not cosmetically) but to where I want it i.e. I've finished honestly I have.

Without spending a lot of money i'm not going to have something as competant when I get back so I'd like to keep it, but there's no point in stuffing it in a lock up for 3 years as it'll be a moud bag when I get back. If on the other hand I'm only away for a few months what should I do?

My Dad used to jack pads back, grease discs. I think he took plugs out (stops them rusting in) and WD40'd the cylinders and stuffed oily rags in the holes too. Took wheels off and I think that was about it.

Obviously battery will drain but is there anything else I should think about.

That's if I can find somewhere to leave it.

Alternative is to leave it at a friendly home If I left it with most of my friends I think I may as well just get it crushed now and save them the bother But I know leaving cars is not the best for them.

Bit of a sticky one this one
Old 15 February 2008, 07:05 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was me, i'd remove the wheels and tyres, and wrap them up to stop light getting to them, unless the tyres are nearly shot, in which case leave them on the car, i'd try to knock the pads back off the discs..... never thought about taking the plugs out, but i guess as the heads are ally it wouldn't be such a bad idea.... i'd drain the coolant, but you might be better to simply change it for new....rather than leave it dry....
Obviously disconnect battery and remove, leave the fuel tank as empty as possible as it'll be useless when you get back....

as for the bodywork, good polish before you leave it, then let the duat settle on it.... i wouldn't lay dust sheets over it, as if they get damp they'll not do the car any good.....

I'm sure there's more.....

It's just as important what you do when you want to start using it again.....
Oil/filter, trans oils..... coolant, fuel, brake fluid.....