Notices

CHECK ENGINE

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2008, 09:20 PM
David Harris
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHECK ENGINE

Braking very hard up to a red light this evening after giving it a real good hiding, when suddenly the 'CHECK ENGINE' light came up for a second and then disappeared. I had stopped and just selected neutral. No problems from there on but any ideas? concerns? Thanks
Old 07 February 2008, 09:59 PM
weeebell
Scooby Regular

Scoobypedia | Trusted knowledge for everything Subaru | Knowledge / Reading ECU Fault Codes

Try this and see how you get on.
Old 08 February 2008, 01:17 PM
OakleighParkScoobie
Scooby Regular

What model of Car is it, age etc? I used to get a similar thing with my Bugeye and turned out to be the gearbox neutral sensor, replaced a 2mm washer with a 1mm washer and problem went away.
Old 08 February 2008, 03:50 PM
David Harris
Scooby Regular

Hey thankyou for the link to reading ECU codes that is priceless info, im guessing from a brief check its not a fault but i'll give it a thorough going over tomoro. Anybody else with similar problems or info its a V3 96WRX manual wagon. Basic mods. Thanks again
Old 12 February 2008, 10:26 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hay i get it all the time, i have been giving it a good thrashing and the check engine light comes and then goes when i return to driving it normal.

Anyone got any ideas why this light comes and goes? I get the feeling it might be something to do with detonation. MY96 STI V2, new gearbox, running 1.5 Bar Boost........
Old 12 February 2008, 10:51 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't worry too much - the manual for my car says this can happen (and it might be because you braked hard) and is nothing to worry about as long as light goes back off.
dnc

Sorry just re-read post, thought you said brake fault light came on: ignore my comment

Last edited by dnc; 12 February 2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12 February 2008, 11:00 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STI_Baly
Hay i get it all the time, i have been giving it a good thrashing and the check engine light comes and then goes when i return to driving it normal.

Anyone got any ideas why this light comes and goes? I get the feeling it might be something to do with detonation. MY96 STI V2, new gearbox, running 1.5 Bar Boost........
is it mapped to 1.5bar? that is way above standard boost and if not mapped for it could well be the problem.

Simon
Old 13 February 2008, 03:10 PM
David Harris
Scooby Regular

1.5 bar! Good lord no not me unfortunately! Im still back in the 0.7-0.9 sherpa van tampax league. Not for long tho, gonna max out the little TD04 as soon as i get a bigger pump and injectors. I had the light flicker again when i was going through traffic calming and over bumps so thought it may be related to the MAF sensor? I'll keep it in check. Thanks guys
Old 13 February 2008, 08:17 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Hay there guys, right the car will run 1.0 bar and no more in 1st 2nd and (3rd i think) then 4th she will 1.5bar not to sure about 5th yet. Its a TD05H 16g Superback with uprated 360 degree thrust bearing and collar. (no boost controller as of yet, as i was not sure what boost the scoob was running).

Although the guy i bought it off was a mechanic he surely had no clue about tech on scoobys or turbos. As he absolutely killed the front diff in the gearbox and had the turbo smoking.

The rear of the car has a lingering petrol smell, and i get a feeling that this scoob is not mapped (no point asking prev driver as he aint got a clue ), or maybe its something to do with My HKS drager system (which i doubt). I have had a visual of the exhaust when i stripped it, it seems like there is a o2 sensor in the lower region of the DP (with a metal braided heat sheath around the wired connections to the plug on the left side of the engine which is 2 pins i think and definitely round) and the top of the DP has been bunged, the rest of the system is straight through to the back box.
Old 13 February 2008, 08:20 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

I forgot to add that this car seems to be a bag of secrets, everytime i open things i find that they are not standard, its got numerous Blitz/Trust Plaques on the inside of the dash, so god knows maybe she has had a re-map for 1.5 boost in jap land. But i know that it wont run on anything but Shell V-Power (optimax). As otherwise she coughs and splutters i am told by the previous driver who is also a friend of mine
Old 13 February 2008, 10:34 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

I would suggest you get it mapped..

non-standard turbo is enough to warrent it for a start.

Simon
Old 13 February 2008, 10:59 PM
STI_Baly
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
I would suggest you get it mapped..

non-standard turbo is enough to warrent it for a start.

Simon
Simon the Turbo is standard mate, its just got a uprated thrust plate and collar which prolongs longevity and lubrication of spinning parts within the turbo thats all. (which would allow someone to run higher boost if they desired. which i dont as of yet) The thrust parts cost an additional £10 so it was a worthwhile upgrade for extra lubrication of turbo parts.
Old 13 February 2008, 11:32 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by STI_Baly
Simon the Turbo is standard mate, its just got a uprated thrust plate and collar which prolongs longevity and lubrication of spinning parts within the turbo thats all. (which would allow someone to run higher boost if they desired. which i dont as of yet) The thrust parts cost an additional £10 so it was a worthwhile upgrade for extra lubrication of turbo parts.
sorry got muddled.. thought it was a V3 and therefore should have a VF.. etc..

lol @ could run more boost if desired.. standard boost is around 1bar...
your only running 50% more

Simon