Notices

ecu re-map for £250? should i have it done?

Search this Thread

Old 01 February 2008, 06:19 PM
v8 jdm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecu re-map for £250? should i have it done?

hi guys i have found someone who will do a re-map on my 03 wrx sti for £250 and thats dyno on rolling road.web site is - Performance Cars Direct, what do you think as i need a re-map but not sure to trust it at this price?
Old 01 February 2008, 06:24 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Seems a bit cheap & probably better to remap on the road (al la Bob Rawle) than on a RR. Mine was £500 ish from memory.

TX.
Old 01 February 2008, 06:24 PM
Mother Theresa
Scooby Regular

If your car has already been (re-)mapped then that's about right, if it isn't then ecutek might have something to say as the licence is about £500. The exception is if they are using the freebie software but not many established mappers do that.

Tread carefully.
Old 01 February 2008, 06:29 PM
v8 jdm
Scooby Regular

hi no its never been mapped, he said he is doin it as a deal at half price, not sure what to do as its got to be cheap for a reason?
Old 01 February 2008, 08:13 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Seems a bit cheap & probably better to remap on the road (al la Bob Rawle) than on a RR. Mine was £500 ish from memory.

TX.
Stick with a well respected mapper like Bob R, he's the best I've used and gives lots of advice - all of which is quality and true, unlike some experts I've met through my years of scooby tuning. He's one of a few I'm very happy to have work done on my mota, even with her being more important than my bird, house, etc, etc...get the pic?
My experience in the past has been costly, ending up with Bob R fixing every thing, hence better to go with the best once.
Old 01 February 2008, 08:44 PM
v8 jdm
Scooby Regular

does anyone no bob r web site?
Old 01 February 2008, 08:51 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

the more you want to mess on with the power of your JDM car on the cheap side the more risk you stand of blowing the engine up
Old 01 February 2008, 09:06 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

Bob's website is currently being rebuilt at the moment but if you go to BRDevelopments.com you will find some contact details for him. If you leave a message on his phone he will call you back within a day or two. ( He's a VERY busy man ! )

And yes he is the best. The price to have my last Scoob done was £640 if I remember correctly.
Old 01 February 2008, 11:33 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Bob is my new hero!
I had a reduced fee as i had already got my EcuTek license from previous maps with Mr Bulmar.
Bob prices on a sliding scale depending upon what mods have been done between maps with him.
eg, i have had my first map with him, and so if i went back with minor mods then he would remap at a slightly cheaper price.
As i have mentioned before, i wont put any prices i know on here as that is Bob's business with you to discuss
But you wont be disappointed.
Old 01 February 2008, 11:44 PM
Wmscooby
Scooby Regular

Not that im counting but its 9 and a half hours until my remap with Bob i cant wait
Old 01 February 2008, 11:49 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Wmscooby
Not that im counting but its 9 and a half hours until my remap with Bob i cant wait

MMMMM the difference will be huge
Old 02 February 2008, 12:26 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Seems like a genuine offer from a less well known company !
It's good to see the market heading "our" way for once....
Old 02 February 2008, 12:43 AM
JamesVTS
Scooby Regular

seems to good to be true, id check some of there previous work first......

or save a bit more and get a well known company to do it
Old 02 February 2008, 08:48 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

You see this is the trouble, we are all that used to paying through the nose for Subaru stuff that when a possible good deal comes along, no one bloody trusts them! lol.
Old 02 February 2008, 10:18 AM
v8 jdm
Scooby Regular

thanks for the info guys think i will get it done off bob r does anyone no if there is a bob r in manchester or close to manchester? anyone have there phone number.
Old 02 February 2008, 10:32 AM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

The trouble is you can obtain the facility to remap a car for little cost. People assume that because you have the facility to do it, and a rolling road, you must be good, often that is far from the truth. I have mapped a few cars that had been "remapped" at a cost of £hundreds, only to find the ECU had the OE standard map file, but the owner has 2 power graphs for before and after.

Stick with established mappers, going with an official Ecutek dealer means you are going down a proven route.

Paul
Old 02 February 2008, 10:43 AM
Rajaman
Scooby Regular

The price probably has a lot to do with the type of remap involved, Ecutek as done by the majority of mappers ( BOB R, Andy F etc) operates by licence, and a fair % of the £600 ish you pay is for said licence , However once your car has been Ecutek'd than subsequent remaps are cheaper as you already have a licence
There are other alternatives however, open source tuning, ECUflash being one which is free, so the mapper would be able to offer lower prices, this is possibly whats on offer, worth finding out
Mocom Racing were offering a mapping service for £400 recently, and I am sure that they were doing ecuflash, I cant remember for sure but worth looking them up
I firmly believe that it is worth paying a premium to have your map done specifically for your individual car factoring in all of your mods etc, rather than having a generic one size fits all map installed
Hope this goes some way to explaining the cost differences, you pays your money you takes your choice
There is a debate as to which is best, mapping on the open road or RR, I guess if I was in your position I would speak to a few different mappers, find out what they are offering and how they go about mapping your car, you dont want someone simply upping your boost without adjusting Ignition, fueling, WDC, Injector duty cycles, monitoring det, EGT's etc etc etc
Hope this has been of some help
Good luck in your quest for more power
Old 02 February 2008, 11:13 AM
ELYA49
Scooby Regular

I am booked in at Mocom for the £400 map in a few weeks. What is the difference between the one offer for £250 at performance direct, S****horpe ?
Why do others pay £650 ish for AF, BR, Scoobyclinic, Zen etc..?
Fairly new to this game. Got a 2.5 2007 WRX. Mocom say its about the area under the curve but there figures seem respectable to other mappers. Set up (map) apparently takes around 4-5 hours at Mocom ?
I'm not trying to be funny, just trying to understand the difference between paying £400 as opposed to a Scoobyclinic ECUTek £650+ VAT.
What is the difference between ECU's i.e. ECUTek or Mocom's Mapping ?

Last edited by ELYA49; 02 February 2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02 February 2008, 04:01 PM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ELYA49
What is the difference between ECU's i.e. ECUTek or Mocom's Mapping ?
Pretty much the only difference is your ECU will not be locked after our remap, we have full access to the ECU meaning that all relevant tables are optimsed for your car and it's current modifications.
Cost is less as we do not have to pay Ecutek a license fee for each remap which is around £150.
Old 02 February 2008, 04:13 PM
Gav1
Scooby Regular

I have been offered an ecu remap by GT MOTORSPORT in stoke for £250 as well.

The guy who is doing it is a well known tuner of cosworths and rs turbos(spit) but he has now branched out to cover scoobys and other jap motors.

For £250 i am willing to take the chance as i know he is a good tuner and knows his stuff.

If youve heard good things about the tuner and you have seen other examples of his work that are upto scratch i say go for it.

Why pay 5 or 6 hundred quid if you can get it done at £250.

My wrx is going in on tuesday so i'll post after ive picked it up and let you know how muh difference there is for my £250.

Gav.
Old 02 February 2008, 04:30 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by v8 jdm
hi no its never been mapped, he said he is doin it as a deal at half price, not sure what to do as its got to be cheap for a reason?

I don't think that fee would even cover the ECUTEK license fee mate.

Chances are you'll get tow bits of paper reporting gains, yet when someon else interrogates the ECU it'll have the base map still on it!

Ns04
Old 02 February 2008, 04:43 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mocom Racing
Pretty much the only difference is your ECU will not be locked after our remap, we have full access to the ECU meaning that all relevant tables are optimsed for your car and it's current modifications.
Cost is less as we do not have to pay Ecutek a license fee for each remap which is around £150.
You should know that is far from being the only difference, as you mention we pay per ECU we map, aswell as paying (lots) upfront for the software.

The difference with an Ecutek remap is you know you're getting a proven solution. Ecutek dealers get access to functionality within the ECU AND the information on how to use it, so quality of the product is maintained. We are not guessing when we map your car. In theory if an Ecutek dealer was shown to be no good, then no more ecutek licenses. But there is no control in place to regulate any idiot that sets themselves up as a mapper with cheap/free software.

It appears Zak, your competition also using the free software, maps for only £250. I suspect they do much, much less for that £250, then you do for £400. But the added value needs to be clear for people to see, otherwise they may end up paying £650 by the time they've go it mapped properly.

Last edited by ZEN Performance; 02 February 2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02 February 2008, 05:20 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

His reputation for quality work maybe ?
IMHO
Old 02 February 2008, 06:27 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Everyone can get a "reputation", all it takes a few satisfied customers that don't know any better to post on SN before it's all gone **** up. And who is going to say they don't do quality work?

Zak does have an established customer base and proven track record, but that doesn't stop people chancing it on unknown companies to save (they hope) a little money.

Last edited by ZEN Performance; 02 February 2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02 February 2008, 06:40 PM
JamesVTS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gav1
I have been offered an ecu remap by GT MOTORSPORT in stoke for £250 as well.

The guy who is doing it is a well known tuner of cosworths and rs turbos(spit) but he has now branched out to cover scoobys and other jap motors.

For £250 i am willing to take the chance as i know he is a good tuner and knows his stuff.

If youve heard good things about the tuner and you have seen other examples of his work that are upto scratch i say go for it.

Why pay 5 or 6 hundred quid if you can get it done at £250.

My wrx is going in on tuesday so i'll post after ive picked it up and let you know how muh difference there is for my £250.

Gav.
what mods have you got on yours mate, i live 5 min up rd from gt motorsport... let me no how it goes as might be worth getting mine done local
Old 02 February 2008, 06:44 PM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Zen Performance
It appears Zak, your competition also using the free (stolen) software, maps for only £250, what distinquishes you from everyone else? Why are you £150 more expensive? <--- opportunity to sell yourself!
Paul I am speechless and tbh have had enough of this playground behaviour - I've had a number of PMs of late from Ecutek agents which have been well out of place and now this, there's only so much before the lid comes off.

Are you suggesting that the software I use is stolen?

Why are you £150 more expensive? <--- opportunity to sell yourself!
I have no need to sell myself, my work speaks for me.
Old 02 February 2008, 06:50 PM
JamesVTS
Scooby Regular

mines goin mocom when done, as heard lots of good things and the price is right word of mouth and people reporting about the work they have had done by them all speaks for its self, top people and very friendly.....
Old 02 February 2008, 07:31 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone can get a "reputation", all it takes a few satisfied customers that don't know any better to post on SN before it's all gone **** up. And who is going to say they don't do quality work?

I too am quite stunned at your posts in this thread Paul.

I regard you as a respected tuner, just like AndyF, Bob R etc.

I respect you as a professional. I would therefore expect you to act like a professional. Especially in somewhere as public as this.

The software Mocom use is certainly not stolen, it is as good a product as EcuTek, just without the rip off licence fee.

Im sure you'll agree that any mapping taking place is only as good as the mapper. If the proper monitoring equipment is being used, ie det cans, wideband etc. Whats the difference?

Are you saying you wouldnt be as good at mapping if you didnt use EcuTek software? I highly doubt that.

If there are 2 guys doing the same job to equal quality but using different tools. Whats the difference?
Halfords spanners or Snap On? Surely its only as good as the guy doing the job. If his work is good. Whats the difference?

As for customers that dont know any better.

I happen to be one of many satisfied Mocom Racing customers.

I build prototype development engines for one of the worlds largest motor manufacturers. These engines are worth in excess of £750,000 each. So if i get it wrong, its my *** on the line!! To date i have never had a single failure due to human error.

I also have access to over 150 engine dyno cells with some of the best caliberation engineers in the world. So its not as if i dont know whats going on inside an engine or its caliberation.

I have known Zak for a number of years and and more familiar with his work than anyone else.

Quite frankly i fiind your comments unprofessional, rude and basically a cheap shot at Zak/Mocom for the sole purpose of making EcuTek look better.

I wonder if you wasnt an EcuTek dealer, would your comments be the same?

I think its a shame you have lowered yourself like this in the public eye.

Regards

Frayz
Old 02 February 2008, 07:39 PM
raj_kemp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JamesVTS
mines goin mocom when done, as heard lots of good things and the price is right word of mouth and people reporting about the work they have had done by them all speaks for its self, top people and very friendly.....
https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-third-party-supplier-queries-3/662794-big-thanks-mocom-racing.html

I completely agree and will be booking shortly with Mocom Racing for my WRX upgrade/remap.

Kemp

Last edited by raj_kemp; 02 February 2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02 February 2008, 08:26 PM
ZEN Performance
Former Sponsor

Frays, what exactly are you stunned about? You should read more carefully.

Did I say that Mocom had a false reputation? No

Did I say that Mocom didn't do quality work? No

Did I say that Mocom didn't have genuine satisfied customers No

Did I say that Mocom is no different to anyone that offers a remap for £250 No

I asked how Zak and Mocom can differentiate themselves from some random "tuner" that buys a flash cable and downloads the software and sets themselves up as a mapper. To demonstrate why someone should pay £400 instead of £250.

It is all too easy for people to have "satisfied" customers with the advent of public forums. All you need to do is get your friend to post up "Great services from blah blah blah, great guy really proffessional etc etc", do that a few times, add a few people that can't tell the difference between a little more boost and a genuine full remap, and you're a mapper in the eyes of thousands of people. You might only get 10 customers before things start going wrong,you get rumbled, or you get bored of earning pocket money. However for genuine tuners, including Zak and Mocom, there's 10 customer lost to cowboys, the reputation of tuning damaged, and livelihoods put at risk.

You and I both know that a rolling road is by no means a sign of a good mapper. Dynos can lie, either deliberately or just through ignorance, but its an easy way for people to show what "gains" have been made, numbers sell.

Now I had hoped that Zak would be able to post and tell us in his own words why he was good, in a round about way you've done it for him.

Last edited by ZEN Performance; 02 February 2008 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: ecu re-map for £250? should i have it done?