Notices

ecu remap...answers please

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2008, 05:38 PM
Gav1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecu remap...answers please

Guys, ive searched this but havent really got the answers that im looking for.

Wonder if you can help.

I have a standard 52 plate wrx (import) and ive been offered an ecu remap by GT Motorsport for £250.

I'm not considering changing the exhaust as i'm happy with the standard one.

I just wondered if an ecu remap on its own would give me any gains in bhp and if so how much approx.

I think the car is currently running at 227 bhp as standard.

hope you can help.

Gav.
Old 31 January 2008, 05:44 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

£250 seems stupidly cheap, most well known places charge best part of 500-800 for an initial map to put it into comparison
Old 31 January 2008, 05:51 PM
Gav1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
£250 seems stupidly cheap, most well known places charge best part of 500-800 for an initial map to put it into comparison
guy who owns the garage is a good mate.

not to concerned about the cost of the remap as i now he is an a1 tuner who knows his stuff and he is basically doing it as a cheapie cos ive taken loads of business to him.

however what i do want to know is ...is it worth spending the £250 or will it not really make a big difference without any other mods??

gav.
Old 31 January 2008, 06:20 PM
Gav1
Scooby Regular

ANYBODY???
Old 31 January 2008, 06:33 PM
tiny gsy
Scooby Regular

if he`s a good mapper then yes, IMHO it should make some difference. It may not be a huge one but due to manufacturers building things to last, the original map should be a very "safe" one
Old 31 January 2008, 06:41 PM
JamesVTS
Scooby Regular

prob push it up to 250.... wont get big gains without supporting mods tho.. ive also been researching this, Zak on here from Mocom racing seem the best bet for the mods ive done....

Gt motorsport! did his mrs use have a bugeye and live pakmoor area? i looked at that one before bought mine. LOL!
Old 31 January 2008, 06:47 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got a UK 2001 bugeye.
It was running a green panel air filter and a racebox silencer, but I had it remapped, and had a 3" cat-back Milltek system fitted at the same time.

It was initially rolling roaded at 209bhp, but the remap and exhaust mods took it to 248.6bhp. I'd guess without an exhaust mod you might make maybe 20bhp, but if you can get the remap that cheap, I'd be tempted to spend the money on a decent exhaust and have the two done at the same time (plus it'll sound a LOT better )

If you go for a 3" system with a 100 cell sports cat (Scoobyworld, Milltek, and others do these) together with a decent remap, then you might even make an extra 80bhp.

This upgrade, although expensive has been one of the best for me, as the car picks up quicker and acceleration is just silly.

Unfortunately you need to learn to restrain yourself, as the downside is that using the extra power on tap, on short journeys anyway, uses a little (not a lot, but a little) more petrol. Weirdly it seems to have improved consumption on long distance (i.e. motorway) journeys though.
If I'm being very irresponsible and only commuting to and from work I sometimes only see just over 200 miles on a full tank.... whereas on the motorway and cruising between 80-90mph I can see 260 or more.. HTH.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 31 January 2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: .
Old 31 January 2008, 06:52 PM
Gav1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JamesVTS
prob push it up to 250.... wont get big gains without supporting mods tho.. ive also been researching this, Zak on here from Mocom racing seem the best bet for the mods ive done....

Gt motorsport! did his mrs use have a bugeye and live pakmoor area? i looked at that one before bought mine. LOL!
Not sure what his mrs drove....i know mark has a a black bmw m3. He is known as tweedy. He is well known for working on cosworths and rs turbo's (spit) and works out of collins performance quite regularly.

Mark really knows his stuff and has worked on all of my cars for a long time.
Old 01 February 2008, 04:12 PM
Gav1
Scooby Regular

Another question seeing as how not many of you answered my original question!!!!!!!!

If i do get the ecu remapped will it bring forward the point where my engine boosts? e.g it currently boosts at approx 3000 rpm will it advance any if i get the ecu remapped?

thanks

Gav.
Old 01 February 2008, 04:52 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As far as I'm aware, this will depend on the map your tuner uses, but if I remember rightly they can tweak it to your requirements if this is what you want.

It certainly feels like my turbo spools up quicker now than it used to - kicks in aboout 500rpm earlier I reckon, which has made a lot of difference in response, like I said! Ultimately though, as I said before, if you can afford to, get an exhaust put on at the same time, otherwise you'll potentially get it mapped, get an exhaust and then have to pay to have it mapped again.
Old 02 February 2008, 06:47 PM
JamesVTS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gav1
Not sure what his mrs drove....i know mark has a a black bmw m3. He is known as tweedy. He is well known for working on cosworths and rs turbo's (spit) and works out of collins performance quite regularly.

Mark really knows his stuff and has worked on all of my cars for a long time.
yea thats him, black m3 with tweed on the plate. was sound to talk to just wasnt impressed with the cra he was trying to sell me lol.

does he map them on a rr? got a few mods to mine and a big turbo waitin to go on , tho need find a mapper first.