Notices

Help a new boy with a 97 uk model ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2008, 07:47 PM
matt75racing
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Help a new boy with a 97 uk model ?

Hi Guys
I have just become a proud owner of a early 97 uk model and looking for my first power upgrade (to be honest amazed at the handling little under impressed with the pull !! no smoke, noises or flashing lights) been told my first purchase should be a replacement ecu I have a 3 plug (8s) version is this correct and what should I be looking for ? also any recomendations for rolling roads near oxford to get it checked out
Regards Matt

Sorry should have mentioned it has 3"exhaust on and K&N filter on its way !
Thanks for the welcome

Last edited by matt75racing; 27 January 2008 at 08:24 PM. Reason: left out some detail
Old 27 January 2008, 07:56 PM
Skooby53
Scooby Regular

To be honest the first area to look at is a decent panel filter, KN or Green etc. Then a new exhaust go for a de cat system either fit a sports cat or pop the cat on for the MOT. If you are going for big power go for a 3" if not a 2.5" will be fine. As for which manufacturer to buy from is really a matter of how loud you want to go. I use a Magnex system, not too loud just rumbles nicely. Other people with have their own preference. Once you have done this look around a replacement ECU. Welcome to 'ScoobyNet'
Old 27 January 2008, 08:18 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Simtek all the way for this one. It's a very good place to start from, as you can keep the car correctly in tune from day one. Plan the upgrade in batches, re mapping as you go, and you won't go far wrong.
Old 27 January 2008, 08:25 PM
matt75racing
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=matt75racing;7602472]Hi Guys
I have just become a proud owner of a early 97 uk model and looking for my first power upgrade (to be honest amazed at the handling little under impressed with the pull !! no smoke, noises or flashing lights) been told my first purchase should be a replacement ecu I have a 3 plug (8s) version is this correct and what should I be looking for ? also any recomendations for rolling roads near oxford to get it checked out
Regards Matt

Sorry should have mentioned it has 3"exhaust on and K&N filter on its way !
Thanks for the welcome look like a great community
regards Matt
Old 28 January 2008, 06:12 AM
The rookie
Scooby Regular

To take it any further it will need mapping (in fact with a 3" and decat it needs it now!), the 97/98 isn't 'yet' mappable (even via add on boards) so you have to replace it, Alan obviously sells Simtek ;-) but others such as the Apexi are also well thought of.

Simon

PS the yet refers to the fact that boards have been promised for about 12 months now, none yet come onto the market!
Old 29 January 2008, 04:21 PM
matt75racing
Scooby Regular

Hi all I have spoken to a couple of tuners that say they can remap my 3 plug ecu priced between £300 - £400. anybody had one done or know anybody else that will do it nearer to oxford also I be needing to change the turbo shortly my budget will be a huge restriction on this Im not looking for mega power 270 -290 ish , any suggestions would be welcome