Notices

Oil all over floor at front, 95 sti

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2008, 06:09 PM
Lee-J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil all over floor at front, 95 sti

Hello all, I am new to this site and Subaru's and I'm seriously considering an Impreza wagon as I need space for the dog. Anyway, I test drove one today which appears to be a red top sti wagon, 1996. Test drive great, mint condition car (import) and pulled like a train, very impressive. When I got back to the garage, small amount of smoke coming from under the bonnet and lots of oil at the front of the car on the ground. When I opened the bonnet there was no sign of leaks near the top of the engine, although the leak seemed to be from the left hand side (as you face the car). I realise this is a long shot as I dont even own the car yet, but would everyone advise steering clear, or is this a more common problem heard before? I am quite keen on the car and given its condition and the fact its an sti and only shows 50k if it turns out to be minor I would still buy it, but dont want to be sold a knacker and will look elsewhere if needed. What do you think?
Old 26 January 2008, 06:17 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to Scoobynet...

It sounds like one of the most common problems on most Scoobs, it's almost certainly the cam cover gasket on the turbo side of the engine, they normally last anything between 5 and 10 yrs,..... it's not a huge job, and is quite straight forward.....

the other slight possibility is that it could be the front crank seal, although that would be more central to the car....