Notices

new radiator leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2008, 03:29 AM
Brighton
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new radiator leaking?

Ever since I installed a new radiator in my wife's '99 Legacy Brighton in November I've occasionally gotten faint but distinct whiffs of coolant vapor. I have searched everywhere and there are no visible leaks and no coolant on the ground. Coolant loss is minimal but I have topped off the overflow tank a couple of times with maybe a pint or less. Temperature is normal.

Today I returned from a short drive, engine warmed up, and stopped in the drive. Before turning off the engine I noticed some "steam" coming from the area of the grill. I kept the motor running, popped the hood, and saw (and smelled) coolant vapor rising from the front of the radiator toward the driver side. No matter how carefully I looked or from what angle I could not tell the exact source, but it really looked like it was coming from somewhere in the metal "fins" of the radiator. When I stopped the motor it was gone.

So I take it the radiator itself is leaking? The radiator I installed was purchased new from a local parts store, it's made by Proliance ("Ready-
Rad" line, about $160) and seemed like a decent aftermarket product. Here's a link to the manufacturer's description:
Proliance Online Catalog

I suppose the worst case scenario is I install a new radiator (pretty sure this will be covered by warranty). If it's just a manufacturing defect then fine, I got unlucky, happens sometimes.

But could I be overlooking something? I flushed out the whole cooling system before installing the radiator, new quality hoses, fresh coolant (used propylene glycol but that should make no difference). Could something have caused the leak?

Would a pressure test at a local shop confirm where the leak is?

Finally, this weekend my wife wants to take the kids to her parents house 3 hours away--think I should let her go? Could this leak suddenly get bigger, enough to lose sufficient coolant to cause overheating? I'm not sure I can find the time to drain the system, pull the old rad., install the new one, and test between now and then.

As I said, coolant loss has been very minimal so far...but the last thing I want is for my wife to get stranded.

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited by Brighton; 16 January 2008 at 03:32 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 16 January 2008, 08:26 AM
scoobycraig
Scooby Regular

it should be ok for her to drive steady. I'd take the rad back if i was you so long as there's no sign of actual damage to the fins! if there's damage done to the fins where it's been knocked i doubt they'll take it back!
Old 16 January 2008, 12:01 PM
Brighton
Scooby Newbie

Thanks--I don't see any damage. It's looking kind of like a manufacturing defect, but it's hard to know without pinpointing the leak.

Hey, am I on the wrong forum here? Is this just for Imprezas? If so, sorry about that (feel free to point me in the direction of an appropriate forum for the Legacy).
Old 16 January 2008, 12:03 PM
scoobycraig
Scooby Regular

no mate it's for all subaru's it's just that most people on here have got impreza's
Old 16 January 2008, 01:29 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Brighton
Hey, am I on the wrong forum here? Is this just for Imprezas? If so, sorry about that (feel free to point me in the direction of an appropriate forum for the Legacy).
UK Legacy Forums (Powered by Invision Power Board)

But as above, scoobynet is for all suabrus
Old 17 January 2008, 01:41 AM
Brighton
Scooby Newbie

Today I took the car on a 160-mile trip--temp. gauge stayed put, did not see any sign of coolant leaking (checked at each stop) and only got a very faint whiff of coolant odor when I got back home (no visible sign of leaking).

Overflow tank did not need topping up.

WTF? Have I got a leak or not? Very strange.

I have an appointment with a shop tomorrow to hopefully pressure-test the radiator. That will determine conclusively whether it needs to be replaced or not, right?

Bother.